It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• High TSH, high anti-tpo ab, normal t3 and t4

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
    leyote
    (female)

leyote HB User
    High TSH, high anti-tpo ab, normal t3 and t4

Hello!
    So, I am new to this, but I am experiencing some thyroid irregularities and an not sure what they mean. Over a year ago I was experiencing chronic fatigue so I had some blood work done and the doctor found that I had high tsh and anti-tpo Ab. they retested a month later and my tsh was back to normal, and my anti-tpo, though still elevated, had gone down. T3 and T4 were normal the whole time, so they said I had nothing to worry about . they recently repeated the blood work and found that things had gotten worse.

Dec 13, 2011:
    FT4: 1.25

March 1st, 2012:
    TSH: 3.63
    T3U: 25.5
    Anti-TPO Ab: 82

June 6th, 2013:
    TSH: 9.06
    T3U: 28.5
    FT4: 1.16
    Anti-TPO Ab: 218

So, current results have me a bit worried. I do struggle with fatigue and immunodeficiency,, but if anything I am a bit underweight, my hair and skin are fine, and there is no noticeable inflammation on my throat, so I don't know if hypothyroidism would be a correct diagnosis for me. Thoughts?

Also, apologies for any typos, I am writing this on my phone. Also, I am 24.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: High TSH, high anti-tpo ab, normal t3 and t4

It's a correct diagnosis. I hope you were given a prescription for thyroid hormone.

The ranges for T4 and T3 include a representative sample of the entire population. Having just any level within that range means nothing. It's only "normal" if it's your "normal". It's the same as having a shoe size within the standard size range. Not every size within that range fits your foot. You have your own particular "normal" level within a thyroid range as well.

That said, your FT4 would be well below the typical lab median. Too low for nearly all of the population. It is the likely cause of your fatigue.

The high antibody level shows the reason for your hypoT is Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

There are literally dozens of signs/symptoms of hypoT. No one has all of them. I daresay no one has most of them. But you have the classic one - continuing fatigue. You may have others you had no idea might be thyroid related.

You need treatment. I hope your MD isn't giving you the run around about it.

The following user gives a hug of support to midwest1:
    leyote (06-14-2013)
    Old 06-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
    leyote
    (female)

leyote HB User
    Re: High TSH, high anti-tpo ab, normal t3 and t4

Thank you so much. I don't have a formal diagnosis yet because I haven't seen an endocrinologist. God forbid you should try to get an appointment with a doctor in New York between now and November! After a lot of haggling, I did manage to get an appointment for next week with one, but when I saw the current blood work I freaked out a little and wanted to try to figure out what was going on. This way at least I'm walking in informed if they tell me to ignore it again. Thank you.

Closed Thread