It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid eye disease with hashis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #1
    nuttmegs17
    (female)

nuttmegs17 HB User
    Thyroid eye disease with hashis?

Hi. My husband and I have noticed that my left eye is bulging somewhat. I can see it in photos and used to have a similar prob when I had Graves' disease (now in remission). My dr didn't really seem interested in it but I'm wondering if this is something that can go away once I hit proper thyroid doses or what. I do not think my hashis will ever go into remission (sigh). It's not affecting my vision or anything at this point but is there anything that can be done? Has anyone been in a similar situation ?

He seemed to think thyroid eye disease is only assoc with graves but from my skimpy research I don't believe that is actually true. I have another dr I'm seeing in July and will bring this up but would love feedback

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Thyroid eye disease with hashis?

I was under the assumption it was also from Graves. Have your thyroid hormone levels been elevated? I would take care to keep them from getting too high, and be sure they check all 3 levels, TSH, FT3 and FT4 when labs are done. You can get T3 toxicosis with TSH being normal range and not know it unless T3 is checked.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
    nuttmegs17
    (female)

nuttmegs17 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    I was under the assumption it was also from Graves. Have your thyroid hormone levels been elevated? I would take care to keep them from getting too high, and be sure they check all 3 levels, TSH, FT3 and FT4 when labs are done. You can get T3 toxicosis with TSH being normal range and not know it unless T3 is checked.
    Got my results back
    TSH .019 (.350-3.00)
    FT4 1.41 (.89-1.80)
    FT3 3.50 (2.3-4.2)
    T3 total 99 (60-181)

I posted in another thread about my struggle to get my levels elevated a bit bc of my hypo symptons. I'm currently on t4 and t3meds although at one point my t3 was raised too high while my ft4 stayed too low. Working in adjusting that with new meds (tirosint and cytomel versus armour and cytomel combo)

I've never been hyper since being diagnosed with hashis although I realize if a dr were to look at my TSH only it would appear hyper. My current dr explains that bc of the meds I'm on my TSH is depressed and not to worry

Old 06-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
    BikerDude
    (male)

BikerDude HB User

I don't believe this is your situation but sometimes with thyroid issues there is puffiness to the facial area (small or large and sometimes restricted to certain areas), that can become pronounced overtime and then go away. This would make your one eye appear a bit different if it is the case.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

It isn't thyroid hormone levels to blame for thyroid eye disease; it's antibodies, usually TSIAb. Blocking TRAb or binding TRAb may also be implicated. You can have any or all of these with Hashimoto's as easily as with Graves'. Also, even though your Graves' might be in remission, it doesn't automatically follow that your TSI antibodies are gone. Your MD isn't too thyroid smart if he isn't aware of these facts.

Steroids can help reduce the eye swelling, but of course they carry their own set of drawbacks. You really should consult an ophthalmologist who specializes in thyroid eye disease.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
    nuttmegs17
    (female)

nuttmegs17 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    It isn't thyroid hormone levels to blame for thyroid eye disease; it's antibodies, usually TSIAb. Blocking TRAb or binding TRAb may also be implicated. You can have any or all of these with Hashimoto's as easily as with Graves'. Also, even though your Graves' might be in remission, it doesn't automatically follow that your TSI antibodies are gone. Your MD isn't too thyroid smart if he isn't aware of these facts.

Steroids can help reduce the eye swelling, but of course they carry their own set of drawbacks. You really should consult an ophthalmologist who specializes in thyroid eye disease.
    Thank you - that is what I am thinking. I will look up a thyroid eye doc to get their opinion.

Closed Thread