It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• High TSH normal T4

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
    whatsathyroid
    (male)

whatsathyroid HB User
    High TSH normal T4

Hi All,

I just tried to post a thread and it didn't seem to work so I hope this isn't a double post. Anyway, after a routine blood test, my TSH levels came out to be high (5.36), I was advised to do a re-test in 8weeks. I got my results back for my second test and my TSH is 5.37 and Free T4 level is 15.

My doctor said I don't need treatment for this but I seem to have some symptoms related to hypnothyroidism, the symptoms seem vague so i'm not sure if my thyroid problems are causing them or not. Just wanted your opinions on what might be causing a high TSH and whether the levels I have are cause for alarm?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: High TSH normal T4

We need to see the lab range used for the free T4.
    If that 15 is lower than mid-range, it could be responsible for your symptoms, even if it's technically within that range. Low-normal FT4 is only rarely adequate.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

The normal range for TSH is getting a little tighter, and many Dr's now consider over 3 to be a little high. I would bet your symptoms are related, and think you need to be treated at over 5 on TSH. You might want to get anti-thyroid antibodies run on blood, and if positive, will predict that the hypothyroidism will get worse in time, so why wait if you aren't feeling quite well. Agree that to interpret your T4 we need the normal range.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
    whatsathyroid
    (male)

whatsathyroid HB User

Hi,

The ranges recommended by the blood test people was 10.0-19.0 for Free T4 and 0.50-4.00 for TSH. Is this what you guys mean by range?

Old 06-23-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
    whatsathyroid
    (male)

whatsathyroid HB User

anyone have any advice?

Old 06-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatsathyroid View Post
    Is this what you guys mean by range?
    Yes. So your FT4 is a bit above midrange but it doesn't necessarily mean it's high enough for You (many people are symptomatic with "within range" levels). However it can be hard to convince a doc your symptoms are thyroid related with your levels, you need to keep an eye on this at least and ask to have those antibodies tested too. High Abs can help make your case even with "still within range" levels.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 06-23-2013 at 07:30 AM.

Closed Thread