It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• TSH/T3 Normal but T4 Borderline?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
    Mayoko
    (male)

Mayoko HB User
    TSH/T3 Normal but T4 Borderline?

Hi, I went to the doctor last month and had my TSH level checked, it came back within "normal" ranges, yesterday I had my T3 and T4 checked, they're both within normal ranges but T4 is on the low side...

The doctor is saying that they're all within normal ranges...

However I have extremely debilitating fatigue, joint aches, severe constipation, brain fog... the list goes on, but more importantly I have a odd feeling in my throat like someone is lightly gripping it, sometimes I gag when I eat my food.

Anyway here are my lab ranges, sorry for rambling!

My Level: TSH 1.57 Normal Range: 0.45 - 5.10 uIU/mL

My Level: FERRITIN 213 Normal Range: 11 - 450

My Level: T3, Free 3.3 Normal Range: 2.5 - 3.9 pg/mL

My Level: FT4 0.7 Normal Range: 0.6 - 1.1 ng/dL

Does anyone think that my FT4 is borderline or should I get more specific tests done or anything?

Last edited by Mayoko; 08-21-2013 at 01:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: TSH/T3 Normal but T4 Borderline?

Labs often look like yours in the early stages of autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's disease). FT4 is the "storage" hormone, FT3 is the "active" one. As the body's need for hormone continues, more of the stored T4 is converted to active T3 to keep metabolism up. TSH usually (but not always) gradually rises, FT4 falls lower, and then FT3 eventually falls as the stored T4 is used up.

Most doctors use TSH alone as their guide. To catch it at its highest daily level, have it measured as early in the morning as possible, after fasting all night. This method can sometimes catch it high enough for an MD to pay attention.

Also, you must have tests for anti-TPO and anti-Tg, the two antibodies that cause Hashimoto's. These have a false-negative rate of up to 20%, so keep in mind that a negative test doesn't prove you don't have the disorder.

I wouldn't be surprised if something is going on with your thyroid, but most MDs wouldn't agree based only on those labs. A few really smart ones might, though. Don't give up until you get definitive answers.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    Mayoko (08-21-2013)
    Old 08-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
    Mayoko
    (male)

Mayoko HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    Labs often look like yours in the early stages of autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's disease). FT4 is the "storage" hormone, FT3 is the "active" one. As the body's need for hormone continues, more of the stored T4 is converted to active T3 to keep metabolism up. TSH usually (but not always) gradually rises, FT4 falls lower, and then FT3 eventually falls as the stored T4 is used up.

Most doctors use TSH alone as their guide. To catch it at its highest daily level, have it measured as early in the morning as possible, after fasting all night. This method can sometimes catch it high enough for an MD to pay attention.

Also, you must have tests for anti-TPO and anti-Tg, the two antibodies that cause Hashimoto's. These have a false-negative rate of up to 20%, so keep in mind that a negative test doesn't prove you don't have the disorder.

I wouldn't be surprised if something is going on with your thyroid, but most MDs wouldn't agree based only on those labs. A few really smart ones might, though. Don't give up until you get definitive answers.
    I am seeing the doctor again tomorrow, I will print this out and bring it with me to ask for these tests, thanks very much, I am currently having hard drive issues so I may not reply back for a while, thanks very much for your help.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
    Mayoko
    (male)

Mayoko HB User

I managed to convince my doctor to run these tests, she thinks they're within normal range, but I've read that the present of thyroglobulin even in small amounts is not good, what is your opinion?

thyroid Peroxidase Antibody 4.2 - 0.0-9.0 IU/mL

thyroglobulin Autoantibody <0.9 - 0.0-4.0 IU/mL

Last edited by Mayoko; 09-02-2013 at 02:42 AM.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #5
    Mayoko
    (male)

Mayoko HB User

anyone? I have absolutely no idea what these antibody test results mean, very confusing, I would really appreciate someone's interpretation. I'll take a look at the labs again, they really represented the values strange.

Last edited by Mayoko; 09-02-2013 at 02:41 AM.

Closed Thread