It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• No confirmed diagnosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
    historybuff77
    (male)

historybuff77 HB User
    No confirmed diagnosis

Hi board,

I'm new to this community and this is my first post. I am experiencing some neurological issues and some blood work just came back that highlighted thyroid issues. I have yet to see a neurologist and have only seen my walk-in GP and another MD who also works with naturopathic medicine. I'm hoping someone here might be able to shed a bit more light on my tests so I know what types of questions to ask when I do see a neurologist.

First some background. I'm 32 and male. I'm in fairly good/great health over all. Previously obese, but have lost more than 100 pounds over the past 8 years and am now in a a healthy range. Recurring problems with ezcema. On medication for anxiety/depression since I was a teenager. There is a history of thyroid issues in my family on my mom's side, but this has never been identified as a issue for me before. No other major medical issues.

Several months ago I experienced a weird sensation for a few weeks where I felt as though I had just gone over a steep hill on a roller coaster. It wasn't light-headedness. Something else. It would last sometimes for a few hours and then disappear. After three weeks I stopped experiencing this.

I noticed that I was increasingly depressed/anxious, but I had recently lowered my anxiety medications after losing weight and feeling good for quite some time and thought I might just need to raise them again. This got progressively worse, but otherwise I was fine.

About two months after the weird rollercoaster symptoms. One morning I woke up and almost fell out of bed. It wasn't that the room was spinning or my muscles were weak, it was just that I lost balance. These balance issues have never been as bad as on that day, but they continued to some degree prompted me to go to the doctor. He tried vertigo medication, but it didn't work. He suggested it was probably just stress. I then started feeling weird humming/buzzing and ticklish feelings in an arm, then a leg, and then the other arm and leg. The last limb to be affected like this then felt some numbness/heaviness. I also had weird sensations in my spine and tale bone, bad headaches and some spells of intense tiredness that would often go away just as suddenly. I also had weird twitching and tremors, though the tremors were more like a subtle rocking or occasionally very small tremors in arms or fingers. My walk-in doctor said it could be many conditions, from vitamin deficiencies, to West Nile, to ALS, to MS, to stress. Initial blood work all came up fine. Symptoms started to decrease over time. Based on my own research things pointed to MS or an MS-like condition.

While waiting for a neurologist I went to see another doctor who is an MD and naturopath. He ordered more extensive tests and these did turn up some things.

Here are the key things he flagged:
    25-Hydroxy Vitamin D - Low 61, Normal range 75-250 nmol/L

Mercury - Above normal in blood and hair samples (Blood has 23 nmol/L, normal is <18)

Aspartate Transmaminase (AST) High 57, Normal 7-37 U/L
    Alanine Transaminase (ALT) High 70, Normal 12-49 U/L
    (Liver enzymes - he said this may be the result of anti-anxiety medication, recent antibiotics, or recent dieting)

Thyrotropin (Sensitive TSH) High 3.12, Normal 0.35-2.00

Anti-TPO Normal 16, Normal <35 kIU/L
    Anti-TG High 1107, Normal <40 (note says up to 800 kIU/L can be seen in healthy people without thyroid disease)

Other hair sample findings:
    Low Zinc, Low Selenium

Also, I have a high candida/fungal rate in my blood.

He suspects that these issues may be causing my symptoms and when I do see a neurologist they won't see anything out of the ordinary. I'm hopeful this doctor is right, because all these things seem more treatable than something like MS or another neurological disease.

Based on what I've read about low vitamin D, high mercury and thyroid disease, it seems that many of my symptoms could be from one or more of these issues (probably heightened by stress over fears about worst case scenarios). Have other people on this board experienced these types of symptoms with their thyroid issues? Is my high thyroid antibody count enough to cause these kinds of symptoms? Or could this be a case of discovering a thyroid problem unrelated to my symptoms?

He's put me on 30mg of desiccated thyroid, 10,000 IUs of Vitamin D, something called selenosorb and a bunch of other supplements for liver support, zinc, sulphate, etc. I'm supposed to get blood work redone in another month. I've been on these for a week and haven't noticed any changes yet (though I'm substantially better than when I was at my worst a couple of months ago).

When I do see the neurologist or return to see my MD/ND, are there particular things I should ask about?

Many thanks for any suggestions/info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    als, mercury, multiple schlerosis, thyroid antibodies, vitamin d deficiency