It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid Nodules and Low White Blood Cell Count

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
    Mshepard83
    (female)

Mshepard83 HB User
    Thyroid Nodules and Low White Blood Cell Count

Hello, I recently went to my doctor complaining of fatigue, which I have been experiencing constantly over the past few years (I had another doctor not long ago who knew about it, but she flat out disregarded several of my complaints, and now I'm seeing a new one). He felt a lump in my throat, and sent me to have an ultrasound and some blood work. The ultrasound showed multiple nodules, one of which is rather large. He also mentioned that my white blood cell count was low, which I've never heard from anyone before. He was actually talking about both issues separately (I don't know if he was trying to avoid telling me that they may be related??), and he just said I need to go for a thyroid scan to find out if it's cancer. I made the connection later on. Anyway, could my low blood count, thyroid nodules and fatigue all be cancer-related? I am just really concerned about this now, and I won't find out the results for almost a month, with having to schedule the scan (possibly a biopsy) and some more blood work, along with another appt with the dr. Any input is much appreciated, thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Thyroid Nodules and Low White Blood Cell Count

Here's a much more common possible explanation for these things: The thyroid is probably inflamed and being attacked by your own immune system. Auto(self)immune thyroid inflammation, Hashimoto's, causes fatigue in 2 ways-the inflammation produces chemical byproducts called cytokines which make people tired, and the thyroid gland eventually gets destroyed by the antibodies and you have low thyroid hormone production as a result, causing fatigue. The low white cells can be a symptom of another autoimmune disorder, lupus, which also causes fatigue. How low were your white cells? I would want to get some additional blood tests done while waiting for the scan. It is common for Hashimoto's to cause multiple nodules, and is much more common than thyroid cancer. Also common for more than one autoimmune disorder to show up in an individual. If the white count was just borderline, it may mean nothing, but should be repeated when you do not have any infection. Tests to ask for: thyroid hormones (Free T4 & T3), TSH (from pituitary but stimulates thyroid), anti-thyroid antibodies (anti-TPO, anti-TG, a sed rate and CRP for inflammation, an ANA for lupus, and a urine for protein/blood. Any abnormals should be followed up. I know this sounds like a lot to digest, but less serious and more likely than cancer.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
    skays
    (female)

skays HB User

Re: Hashimoto's Problems...

Last edited by skays; 08-30-2013 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Double posting

Old 08-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
    skays
    (female)

skays HB User

Re: Hashimoto's Problems...
    I have Hashimoto's and my white cell count has been low on many blood tests but I will have it retested and it will be normal... this has gone on for 3+ years. I finally have decided it is related to my Hashimoto's. I've had many other tests and they all end up being normal.... so I have decided the low white cell count is related to Hashimoto's being an autoimmune disease.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
    Mshepard83
    (female)

Mshepard83 HB User

Thank you very much for your replies. This is the second time I've had blood work on my thyroid and it came back normal, but I have not had my TSH and T4 checked yet, so I am going to be doing that next week (I did have my T3 checked, but as for anti-thyroid antibodies - I guess I need more tests! Lol, this is the third time I have to go back for a blood test in the last 2 months). If I do have Hashimotos, would there be some cases when that wouldn't show up in a standard thyroid blood test? That is just what I was concerned about (about TWO YEARS ago, but my first doctor just kinda said eh...I should have pressed the issue further )

As for my white blood cells, I'm not sure exactly how low they were; he just said they were low, but later looked at my thyroid ultrasound and noted the nodules, yet didn't mention anything about my white cells again. Thank you again for your input; it helps a great deal!

Last edited by Mshepard83; 08-31-2013 at 06:22 AM.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
    Mshepard83
    (female)

Mshepard83 HB User

I am also wondering, does the Hashimotos medication you take make a big difference in how you feel? I have been feeling this way for an awfully long time, so it would be good to think it may get better (if indeed that IS the case!)

Old 08-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Hashimoto's only shows up on thyroid antibody tests, not regular testing. So your Dr. needs to be looking specifically for that. The medications are to treat the hypothyroidism that eventually develops with Hashi's and it can make a tremendous difference in how you feel. I'm guessing if you've had symptoms 2-3 years you are already hypo, and with thyroid supplementation would have a new lease on life. I would get a copy of your lab results so you know how low your white count is. Depending on those numbers, it may need to be pursued.When you get labs done again, ask for TSH, Free T4 & T3, and both anti-thyroid antibodies TPO and TG. I would ask for an ANA too, related to the low WBC, while you're getting blood drawn, with titer and pattern if positive.

Closed Thread

Tags
    fatigue, nodules, thyroid, white blood cells