It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hashimoto's Disease... a little lost!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
    Aniles
    (female)

Aniles HB User
    Question Hashimoto's Disease... a little lost!!

Hello!!

I got some lovely test results from my doctor yesterday (note the sarcasm).
    Over the last year and a half, they have been testing my thyroid as it keeps showing up as underactive (no they have not done anything about it, for some reason they just keep getting more bloods done?). Until 2 years ago, all of my bloods came back perfect, with a high iron count of 148, but the other levels pretty much smack in the middle of normal ranges. This time, My iron came back as 53 - the doc said for me this is quite bad because mine are usually so high. My Thyroid level was 13, and he told me that my Vitamin D was terribly low. Although he did not give me the exact level of Vit D, I can only assume it was rather terrible as that is the only supplement he told me that I need to get onto immediately.
    So, I know these levels are not great, but as it was a rushed appointment, he told me those levels, told me that I have Hashimoto's Disease and wrote up another batch of blood tests. So now I am lost.
    Can anyone tell me what on earth this all means?
    I AM going back to him, but couldn't get an appointment until mid/end next week (which is great because my bloods should be back by then anyway).
    This will be the 4th set of bloods I have done in the last 18-20 months, all of which showed an underactive thyroid. I'm just not sure why they are still testing?
    Is this normal? And what do those iron and thyroid levels mean? I'm assuming it isn't anything drastic or he would have done more about it??

Thank you in advance for your help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Hashimoto's Disease... a little lost!!

Quote:
    Is this normal?
    It is, unfortunately, entirely "normal" for doctors to be bone-headed and ignorant about thyroid disease, but yours is even more so than the average MD. There is nowhere on earth where a TSH level of 13 is anywhere close to "normal". You should have been given a prescription for supplemental thyroid hormone by now. I suspect you have significant symptoms from your underactive thyroid. Most likely from the low iron, as well.

Don't leave the office next week without that script in hand. If you don't receive one, find a better doctor.

Closed Thread

Tags
    advice needed, hashimoto's disease, iron deficency, thyroid blood tests, vitamin d deficiency