It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Free T4 levels falling, undiagnosed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
    Judovna
    (female)

Judovna HB User
    Free T4 levels falling, undiagnosed

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have some blood work that has been, in my opinion, indicative of a developing hypothyroid state. I have a sister and daughter who have been diagnosed and treated with levothyroxine. I have many classic symptoms of low thyroid but I am diagnosed as normal thyroid.

A little over a month ago I finally had a meeting with an endocrinologist. I had waited for 10 weeks for the appointment and was optimistic upon meeting him. Unfortunately, he was dismissive, refused to take an interest saying I should not get my thyroid tested more than once each year and he quizzed my on iodine consumption. He didn't order a test or even, in my opinion, take note of the changes in my Free T4 levels.

Then last week my new PCP kindly ran Free T3 and Free T4 tests. T3 was normal but the Free T4 had dipped out of range. In her note she wrote: "Your t3 is great. This T4 is slightly low, but I think that you are converting well and this does not reflect a low thyroid. I hope this is reassuring to you. We can see how you are doing in a few months."

I was not reassured. I asked for a TSH, which came back lower than the last one. She also ordered Thyroid Antibodies, I am still waiting to hear on those.

My Free T4 was in the top 18% of the range 3 years ago and now it is below range. My TSH is always normal. I am low ferritin with normal hemoglobin and other iron related tests are all in range. Ferritin is in range but just barely. Everything else is normal. I am a 50 year old female.

Standard Ranges for my Labs.
    Free T4 .76-1.46
    TSH range .4-4.00
    Free T3 range (1.71-3.71)

My thyroid lab history:
    date
    mo/year
    10/03 TSH 1.11
    7/08 TSH 1.72
    8/10 TSH 1.04....FT4 1.34
    3/11 TSH 1.53
    6/12 TSH 1.14....FT4 1.08
    9/12 TSH 1.58 ...FT4 1.07
    3/13 TSH 1.45....FT4 1.00
    9/13 TSH 1.25....FT4 .74 Free T3 3.02

My Free T4 fell by 26% in less than 6 months and 40% in 3 years. Is there any reason to believe this is not a progressive disease? I am worried as my quality of life is lowering. Waiting a few months as my doctor suggests feels like a prison sentence rather than sound medical advice.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, opinions, or experience with a similar thyroid panel presentation.

Cheers,
    Judovna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
    Judovna
    (female)

Judovna HB User
    Re: Free T4 levels falling, undiagnosed

Hi All,
    The Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody test came back slightly elevated.
    standard range is <9
    My levels was measured at 10.7.
    Dr.'s note: J., this is just slightly elevated. I think your thyroid tests will need to be watched.

Still in limbo,
    Judovna

Closed Thread

Tags
    hashimoto, lab results, low free t4, normal tsh, tpoab