It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Anyone Try WP Thyroid?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
    lovesick26
    (female)

lovesick26 HB User
    Anyone Try WP Thyroid?

I have just gone off Armour because of a very bad reaction to what my doctor thinks is an allergy to fillers. I am going to start a new medication WP Thyroid which just came out on the market Spring 2013. It has two fillers and is supposed to be gluten free. It is a medication from the RLC labs. I would appreciate any feedback about WP. I know they also make another popular thyroid medication but some people have had issues with it because of the fillers. Do not know what filler in Armour I was allergic too but I do not think WP has any of the same ones.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Anyone Try WP Thyroid?

Apparently, WP isn't actually new. It's only a new name for an old RLC product formula, Westhroid. They also make Nature-throid, probably the other one you're speaking of.

I've never taken Westhroid but have used Nature-throid. NT worked well for me until they changed the inactive ingredients. I then switched to various other natural desiccated meds over the years as one or the other stopped working, got too expensive, had supply issues, etc. My point is... Any med might work better for you than others. It doesn't matter what works for someone else. You just have to experiment a little to see what works best for you.

I looked back at the first thread you posted. Hives seems to be the most obvious "allergic" symptom you listed. The others, though, are usually related to the onset of treatment and the active hormone T3 in the drug. If you've been hypothyroid for years before treatment, as many people are, the T3 might be too stimulating for a while, until you get used to it. Also, years-long, untreated hypothyroidism often leads to weak adrenals, which can make it difficult at the beginning of treatment. Treating the adrenal weakness is sometimes necessary before the cells can accept the additional thyroid hormone.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
    lovesick26
    (female)

lovesick26 HB User

Thank you so much for the information midwest1. I asked my doctor about that and my cortisol levels were 16 which he said is normal although I don't know normal low or high. He did put me on Dhea because that was low and he said that would help adrenals. You are correct in the respect that I have had this for many years and not until this doctor gave me a full panel blood work that the thyroid problem showed up. With the Armour my face and throat swelled up. I had difficulty breathing( my chest felt so heavy) and my heart was beating out of my chest. My blood pressure went from the 90's to over 140. I didn't call him for two days and after seeing me he said to stop armour. I understand what your saying though and my first thought was that these were just the low thyroid symptoms although I had never experienced this kind of feelings before. Is there some kind of supplement I can take to help encourage the adrenals? Or should I insist on the saliva test?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
    cbalsley
    (female)

cbalsley HB User

hello, I've just started taking the wp thyroid. I am feeling much more energetic than I did on the armour thyroid but I am having some very vivid and scary dreams. I'm sure my body will get used to this medication and it will calm down. I am having a lot less trouble with my stomach on this medication so I am quessing the more pure form is more subtle to the tummy. Good luck. Please give us an update of how you are doing on this med

Old 07-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
    DCHR
    (female)

DCHR HB User

I realize the original post is a few years old, but here is my experience. I have been taking WP thyroid medicine for a couple months now and have noticed significant improvements. My energy levels and mental clarity are definitely up.... It's as though my brain turned back on and I no longer feel like I need a nap at around 9 AM and 2 PM. The downsides have been that I have not experienced any weight loss (25 pounds up since becoming menopausal at the age of 40) and that I am hot constantly (ugh!). Also, as you noted, my dreams have been a bit more vivid and intense. My thyroid levels were tested after having taken the drug for six weeks, and my results were still a bit low so I know I am not taking too much, however I will need to play with the dosage in order to stop feeling so heated. I have not experienced heart palpitations or the feeling of being over-caffeinated, as is the common side effect for taking too much meds.

How are you doing on WP?

Any advice?

Reply Reply

Tags
    filler, thyroid, thyroid disease, thyroid disorders