It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Mural echogenic focus?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
    silvericewolf
    (female)

silvericewolf HB User
    Mural echogenic focus?

I'm a 30-year-old female. I have had issues with a cough for about a year and a half that would induce strong coughing fits about one or two times a month. The cough would often take on a barking quality; never produced sputum, always nonproductive.

PCP diagnosed with thyromegaly/goiter and sent me for a thyroid ultrasound. Here is that report:

-----------------------------------
    The thyroid is inhomogeneous in echotexture

The right lobe measures 4.8 cm x 1.6 cm x 1.7 cm. The left lobe measures 4.6 cm x 1.2 cm x 1.3 cm. The isthmus measures 0.5 cm in maximal AP diameter.

The vascularity of the thyroid gland appears normal.

There is a hypoechoic nodule in the midpole of the right lobe measuring 0.2 cm x 0.2 cm x 0.2 cm.
    Hypoechoic nodule with a punctate calcification in the upper pole of the left lobe measuring 0.4 cm x 0.2 cm x 0.3 cm. Additional hypoechoic nodule in the lower pole of left lobe measuring 0.3 cm x 0.2 cm x 0.2 cm.

Impression:
    Heterogeneous appearance of the thyroid gland with bilateral subcentimeter nodules, as detailed.

Was sent to an ENT, who requested I do a follow-up ultrasound in six months. Had it done this past week. Here are the new findings:

Right lobe: Size: 4.7 x 1.6 x 1.9 cm.
    3 mm midpole hypoechoic nodule, previously 2 mm.
    Left lobe: Size: 4.6 x 1.4 x 1.5 cm.
    5 mm upper pole a hypoechoic nodule with a mural echogenic focus, probable small colloid cyst. Previously 4 mm.
    3 mm midpole hypoechoic nodule. Unchanged in size.
    Isthmus: Thickness: 2 mm

IMPRESSION:
    No significant interval change. Small thyroid nodules measure up to 5 mm.

Can someone give me an idea of what the changes in the report mean? Mainly, what does "mural echogenic focus" mean, and is that somehow related to the first report's mention of "punctate calcification," since they're descriptors attached to the same nodule? And do the sizes of my thyroid actually signal enlargement/goiter, or are these normal measurements?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    cough, goiter, nodules, thyroid