It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Fluctuation in free t4 level

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
    Ben7878
    (male)

Ben7878 HB User
    Fluctuation in free t4 level

I've read that free T4 will not change (even throughout your life) when your thyroid is functioning properly. If that's true, what should I make of a free T4 level that went from 7.9 (reference range is 4.5-12) in May of last year to 10 in December?

My TSH has always been within range---never lower than 1.2 and never higher than 2.14.

I have some symptoms of hypothyroid, but they could also be attributable to a moderate case of periodic limb movement disorder---except for consistently low body temp.

Thanks for any input on free T4 levels!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
    Re: Fluctuation in free t4 level

Sorry to tell you this but, I can tell by the ranges you shared that you haven't had a FreeT4 test. You've been getting your "plain" T4 test which measures T4 that is bound to proteins and is often falsely elevated as a result.

Not surprisingly, that level can change depending on the level of proteins in your blood.

If you've had a TSH of 2.14, there's a good chance you're dealing with hypothyroidism and the doctors examining you don't know enough about the thyroid.

And, in reading an earlier post of yours, both the FreeT4 and FreeT3 results you shared are hypothyroid.

Consistently low body temperature is a big red flag for hypothyroidism.

If you want to find a more thyroid-savvy doctor, I suggest you contact local pharmacists to get contact info for doctors who prescribe Armour, a popular thyroid med.

Doctors who prescribe Armour tend to "get thyroid", will run the proper tests and offer treatment when it's needed vs. relying on an unreliable TSH result.

Best of luck to you getting the treatment you deserve!

Last edited by sammy64; 02-13-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    free t4, hypothyroidism