It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hashimoto's and Medication

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
    AZmama23
    (female)

AZmama23 HB User
    Smile Hashimoto's and Medication

Hi there! I am new to the forum and just looking to gain some insight regarding a medication change I will be making tomorrow actually!

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's over 2 years ago and put on 50mcg Synthroid. That dose believe it or not made me HYPER and my TSH was almost a 0, insomnia through the roof. The endo dropped me down to 25mcg and I have been on that for 2 years. My TSH is 1.14. Had T3 and free T4 ran and they are "normal" in the endo's eyes. I was still not feeling great, very very tired at times, still have hair loss, and can't lose weight. I went to a naturopath this week and he has prescribed Nature Throid 1/4 grain. He was really surprised that my TSH has stayed so low on just 25 mcg Synthroid and said I must be really sensitive to medication. Why could that be? My VitD is very very low so I am now on high dose of that. I have normal calcium levels. He said 25mcg is not typically a useful dose and 1/4 grain of Nature Throid is usually just a stepping dose but may be all I can handle.

I am a little nervous about starting NDT medication and T3. Should there be any side effects on 1/4 grain generally? Is there a reason I could be sensitive to just 25mcg Synthroid? My Anti-thyroid antibodies are about 400 and US confirmed I have Hashi's as well (atrophy and inflammation).

Thanks for any input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: Hashimoto's and Medication

Hello Welcome to Thyroid Board
    You're right, people usually don't go hyperT with just 50 mcgs but it does happen. You may have better luck with NTH. Don't be too scared of Armour, NTH can be gentler to your body (I think one of our senior members had similar issues with levothyroxine but currently does fine on NTH). There shouldn't be any problems with starting with 1/4 grain - if you do run into problems luckily excess T3 leaves your body very soon. You could also try taking 37.5 mcgs of T4 if NTH doesn't suit you. Good luck

Last edited by FinnMaid; 02-28-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    hashimoto's, naturethroid, synthroid