It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Help understanding labs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
    Abbeydo2008
    (male)

Abbeydo2008 HB User
    Help understanding labs

Labs came in today and I think I sorta understand but not sure.

TSH 2.16. Range is 0.40-4.50
    FT3 2.8. 2.3-4.2
    FT4 0.9. 0.8-1.8
    Vitamin D 71. 30-100
    Vitamin D2. Less than 4

I have been on Amour 60 mg for 2 months. I still feel like I have a slight buzz feeling in my head, get cold at exactly 7:00 every evening so much so I have to turn the heat on to75 with a blanket, still cannot sleep without an Ambien, and been forgetful.

I'm thinking TSH needs to come down, and Free T's need to go up. My doc is on vacation till Monday so there is nothing I can do till then is there? Should I increase by half a tab or just wait? Would increasing by half lower my TSH and not be such a shock to my system. I really don't know what to do. I hate waiting for that normal feeling to come and realize it will not happen in a few months.. Waiting is SO monotonous and wears me out. I'm 59 and feel like its getting to late for me to EVER feel "normal" or that it is taking too long. Uhm, sounds like a bit of depression there. Also, when things do become normal, will I know when to stop taking the Ambien?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
    Re: Help understanding labs

Your thinking about your labs is correct. Your TSH needs to come down....a lot. The Armour prescribing information indicates that people who are optimally medicated on Armour will have suppressed (below-range) TSH. This often translates into TSH .02 or lower.

More importantly, your actual thyroid hormone levels leave much room for improvement. People who are optimally medicated on meds like Armour usually have FT3 levels near the high end of the range and FT4 levels above mid-range. I'm sure you can see that both of your levels are very close to the bottom ends of their ranges. A call into your doctor to request a dose increase would definitely be in order.

If you continue to move forward with regular labs and appropriate dose adjustments, you will be able to feel normal. It will require some work on your part to stay feeling normal (regular labs, thyroid-friendly diet and lifestyle) It's worth the effort.

Closed Thread