It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Vitamin D Supplements Lower My Thyroid Levels --- What's Going On?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
    Roadster42
    (male)

Roadster42 HB User
    Vitamin D Supplements Lower My Thyroid Levels --- What's Going On?

I am a 40-year-old male. I was diagnosed with autoimmune hypothyroidism in the summer of 2009. At the same time, I was diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency.

During the past five years, every time I took Vitamin D supplements, the thyroid-hormone levels in my blood decreased significantly, and my hypothyroidism symptoms (sensitivity to cold, pain in hands and feet, etc.) got worse. When I stopped taking the Vitamin D supplements, the thyroid-hormone levels increased, and my symptoms got better.

Here is an example:

In mid-May 2010, I had been taking levothyroxine (137 mcg) every day for 2.5 months. I had thyroid blood tests and a Vitamin D blood test, and the results were as follows:

TSH = 0.636, normal range = 0.350 - 5.500

FREE T4 = 1.13, normal range = 0.71 - 1.81

FREE T3 = 3.4, normal range = 2.3 - 4.2

Vitamin D, 25-hydroxy = 26, normal range = 32 - 100

In late May 2010, I started taking Nature Made Maximum Strength D Vitamin. I took 2000 IU per day, about 4 - 5 hours after taking my thyroid pill.

In mid-June 2010, I had more thyroid blood tests, and my Free T4 and Free T3 were much lower than one month earlier.

TSH = 0.876, normal range = 0.340 - 5.600

Free T4 = 0.95, normal range = 0.71 - 1.81

Free T3 = 3.1, normal range = 2.5 - 3.9

My then-endocrinologist switched me to Synthroid (137 mcg 4 times per week, and 150 mcg 3 times per week). Unfortunately, the vitamin D interfered with the Synthroid as well. After I stopped taking the Vitamin D, the Free T4 levels recovered, and the Free T3 levels *somewhat* recovered.

Later on, I took a different Vitamin D supplement, Bluebonnet Vitamin D3. I took 1000 IU per day, about 4 - 5 hours after taking my thyroid pill. The results were the same as before, and I stopped taking the supplement.

I later took the Bluebonnet supplement only three times a week, 12 hours after my thyroid pill. The results were the same as before, and I stopped taking the supplement.

So, what's going on here? Why are Vitamin D supplements lowering the thyroid-hormone levels in my blood? Which Vitamin D supplement (if any) will NOT lower my thyroid-hormone levels?

Unfortunately, my doctors (primary doctors and endocrinologists) don't have any answers to these questions.

My last Vitamin D blood test (from mid-December 2013) showed a result of 8 (normal range = 32 - 100). So, I need some answers to my questions as soon as possible.

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2014, 05:27 AM   #2
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
    Re: Vitamin D Supplements Lower My Thyroid Levels --- What's Going On?

If you were taking the NatureMade 2000IU gel caps, I can understand why they caused problems. They are soy-based and soy is known to be a potent thyroid inhibitor.

I don't know about Blue Bonnet brand but, if that, too, contains soy, you just might have your answer.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
    Roadster42
    (male)

Roadster42 HB User
    Re: Vitamin D Supplements Lower My Thyroid Levels --- What's Going On?

I knew that Nature Made contained Calcium (dibasic calcium phosphate), and I knew that Calcium was a thyroid inhibitor as well. I bought BlueBonnet because there was no soy or calcium listed on the BlueBonnet label.

According to the label, BlueBonnet contains the following:

Vitamin D3, 1000 IU, cholecalciferol from natural lanolin
    100% Kosher vegetable capsules, vegetable cellulose, vegetable magnesium stearate
    *Free* of milk, egg, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans.
    Also free of yeast, gluten, barley, rice, sodium, and sugar.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-16-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Closed Thread