It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• ER for anxiety & thyroid, has anyone ever? What do I have?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
    hopAlop
    Inactive
    (female)

hopAlop HB User
    ER for anxiety & thyroid, has anyone ever? What do I have?

Hello all! This is my first post and I am also new to a thyroid disorder.

I have not been diagnosed yet, but here's my story:

But before you know my story, please note I've had these symptoms for the past 8+months (oops..just learned to live w/ them I guess):
    -Constant sweating
    -Heart palpitations (resting bpm was usually 120-125).
    -Lost 35lbs in the last 5 months)
    -Headaches (but I've always had migraines since I was young)
    -VERY high heat intolerance
    -some neck pain
    -fatigue
    -anxiety
    -shortness of breath
    -Depression (on and off)

Last Monday, i went to an urgent care for ear pain. She asked me about my symptoms and ordered a thyroid blood test. Tests came back Wednesday and she told my my t4's were extremely high and I needed to see an endocrinologist ASAP or go to an ER. She also told me I was near a thyroid storm, so I got extremely worried and went to the ER. When I arrived, my blood pressure was 199/96 and my heart rate was in the 140's. They gave me some other medicines I can't remember and had me on propranolol, methimazole, and Zofran for nausea. They don't know what I have, and I have an appointment with an endo in 4 weeks. He said he suspected Grave's (I have A LOT of autoimmune diseases on my mothers side, and thyroid disorders), or he said it was a type of thyroiditis (I had an upper resp infection in January, and one in November).

Anyway, they sent me home with 40mg propranolol and 10mg methimazole twice a day. I felt better in the hospital and after one day home, all my symptoms came back. My heart is back to really fast, I'm sweating very badly as I type this, and my anxiety is horrible. I've also had a headache all day. My depression also got really bad, but I'd never commit suicide, just think about it/plan.

My neck or eyes are not swollen. But I have had some double vision.

ANYWAY..1) have any of you gone to the ER for horrible anxiety or because your symptoms weren't under control?

2) What do you guys think I have?

I won't have my medical records for a few weeks sadly, sorry! Thank you for your help though!

Last edited by hopAlop; 03-19-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: ER for anxiety & thyroid, has anyone ever? What do I have?

The ER has already done for you all it can. There isn't a lot of sense in going back.

The meds you were given aren't a fast fix. It's unrealistic to expect them to relieve all your symptoms all at once. Your T4 level has to come down before you'll feel substantially better, and that will take some time. You should feel at least somewhat better within a week to 10 days or so.

Because of the upper respiratory infection, you might have a temporary form of hyperthyroidism that will resolve on its own over the course of a few months. But with the family history of autoimmune thyroid disorders, it's possible it's Graves' disease, which is permanent.

If the endo says it's Graves', don't be rushed into RAI ablation of your thyroid gland. Do your research first. Graves' can be treated with anti-thyroid drugs to reduce thyroid levels and put you into remission. If RAI is used, you will become permanently hypothyroid. We who are hypothyroid will tell you it's a bad trade-off. Save your gland if at all possible. Two books will explain how it can be done... Try to read them before you see the endo... Thyroid for Dummies and Graves' Disease: A Practical Guide.

Let us know what happens next.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
    hopAlop
    Inactive
    (female)

hopAlop HB User
    Re: ER for anxiety & thyroid, has anyone ever? What do I have?

Thank you very much! I will keep everyone posted. And believe me, I will keep my thyroid at all costs!

Last edited by hopAlop; 03-19-2014 at 11:35 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    auto immune, graves disease, thyroid, thyroid disease