It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hypothyroid/Armour/New Labs Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
    zjnea
    (female)

zjnea HB User
    Hypothyroid/Armour/New Labs Help!

I switched from Synthroid to Armour a year ago.
    I take 30 of Armour twice a day.

Here are my latest lab results
    TSH: 1.560 range is 0.450 - 4.500 uIU/mL

Free T3: 2.4 range is 2.0 - 4.4

Free T4: .77 range is 0.82 - 1.77 ng/dL

That is pretty similar to what I had when I was on 50mg of Synthroid.
    Except my Free T4 is lower now.
    Seems like I can use some more Armour? What dosage do you think is appropriate?
    I'm almost 40 and can't lose weight at all. My Vitamin D levels were also high and cholesterol is slightly elevated.

Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Hypothyroid/Armour/New Labs Help!

When optimized on Armour, TSH is typically well below 1.0. And not only is your free T4 way too low, free T3 could stand to be higher too even though it is in range. Most need to be in the top half or top one third of the range for both free T3 and free T4 to feel well. So a dose increase would be warranted.

Once your TSH is suppressed (at the bottom of the range or below) and free T3 at least above mid-range and free T4 is still low, you may need to add Synthroid to your Armour. That's what I am trying now as I could not get my free T4 to increase much on natural dessicated thyroid (NDT).

Old 03-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
    zjnea
    (female)

zjnea HB User

Thanks for the info. That's what I figured. Trying to research how much more Armour I should ask my doctor to prescribe. I like taking the 60mg in two 30mg pills.
    But I think two 60 mg pills may be too much. I guess I could get the 90 and split it?

Old 03-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

According to the Armour prescribing information, dose increases should be 15mg every 2 to 3 weeks. So you could use your existing 30mg pills (if you have enough) and split one each day to add 15mg a.m. and p.m. for a total daily dose of 90mg. Of course you should discuss with your doctor first. The only problem is that I think the new Armour tends to crumble (the old Armour did not). But it seems someone had posted on this board that some dosages split better than others. Try splitting one and see if it crumbles. I'd be curious to know.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

There's no hard and fast rule that your two doses need to be exactly equal. Many people take a larger portion of their dose in the a.m. and a smaller one in the afternoon. You might first try taking 60 in the morning and another 30 in the afternoon before trying to split those crumbly tablets.

Closed Thread

Tags
    armour, hypothyroid treatment, labs, synthroid, weight