It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• doctor says its nothing but doesnt seem right

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
    Bfromoc86
    (female)

Bfromoc86 HB User
    doctor says its nothing but doesnt seem right

Hi everyone!

This is my second thread... the first one was really long and gave my medical history and the problems ive had this past year. I am a 26 yr old female.

My general question is whether or not high Thyroid Peroxidase is a signifacant indicator of a thyroid problem even if your other levels were "normal". All my symptoms point to a thyroid issue and both my mother and maternal grandmother have hashimotos.

My results were as follows:
    Thyroid peroxidase was at 1006 U/ML
    normal ranges listed on lab work said <60

TSH was 1.27 UIU/ML ( since i was 15 my levels have consistently been between .8 and .87)
    normal ranges listed on lab say .34-4.5.

Free T4_M was .97 NG/DL
    normal ranges listed on lab work says .58-1.64

It seems like my GP thinks that the high Thyroid Peroxidase is nothing to worry about, however after being sick for a year and barely able to get out of bed i am desperate for answers.

So please let me know in your personal experience if it is possible to have a thyroid problem and still have normal TSH levels. Or if my doctor is right and my problems have nothing to do with my thyroid so the tests for Thyroid antibodies is irrelevent.

Thank you for your time. And im not sure if it works but if you can see my other post it gives details of the medical issues i have been dealing with this year.

Thank you again and i appreciate your input and time

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #2
    Rabidcamel
    (male)

Rabidcamel HB User
    Re: doctor says its nothing but doesnt seem right

Yes the tpo ab level is significant and yes your free t4 level is less than optimal...did he test your free t3 to?
    Levels that high represent a pretty large immune response going on...most doctors fail to realize that these antibodies don't just attack the thyroid ....

Old 05-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

High TPO levels like yours indicate Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and your Dr. is downplaying the significance of this. When these antibodies are attacking the thyroid gland, it causes inflammation, which releases cytokines, and they cause fatigue and many symptoms of illness. Hashimoto's can enlarge the gland, making it tender, painful, and difficult to swallow. You will eventually become hypothyroid as the gland is destroyed and require thyroid supplements. Your Dr. should be taking this seriously,
    and ordering an ultrasound if you have any of those local symptoms of enlargement. Many Drs will go ahead and start thyroid replacement at low doses to suppress the glands activity. Anti-inflammatories like OTC Naproxen can help the general fatigue and pain in neck if present. I would see another Dr if yours continues to dismiss this.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
    Bfromoc86
    (female)

Bfromoc86 HB User
    Unhappy Re: doctor says its nothing but doesnt seem right

Update: so i went in to see my doctor today for a follow up and because of the thyroid being enlarged he sent me to an endocrinologist right away. I ended up getting into the endo today so didnt have to wait long and was diagnosed with hashimoto thyroiditis as well as PCOS. They also have ordered a CT Scan and a ultrasound to check the pituitary and adrenal glands as well as an ultrasound of the thyroid. I guess more of my blood work came back and my testosterone levels have also increased since the last labs that were done.

Not really sure what im in for with the new diagnosis considering I now am being told i have hashi's, PCOS, TMJ, and Adies and none of which are connected. Still in shock considering im 26 and last year i was completely healthy.

Advice is welcome

Old 05-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
    Bfromoc86
    (female)

Bfromoc86 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabidcamel View Post
    Yes the tpo ab level is significant and yes your free t4 level is less than optimal...did he test your free t3 to?
    Levels that high represent a pretty large immune response going on...most doctors fail to realize that these antibodies don't just attack the thyroid ....

Out of all the labs ive had in the past year no one has tested my free t3. Not sure why.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #6
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Sounds like your endo is doing a good job to check these things out. I would stick with him!

Closed Thread

Tags
    thyroid, thyroid antibodies, thyroid blood tests, thyroid peroxidase