It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Graves' Disease & Cosmetic Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
    Alabamamoma
    (female)

Alabamamoma HB User
    Graves' Disease & Cosmetic Surgery

I have a tummy tuck surgery scheduled in two weeks. This surgery was scheduled a while ago. Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with Graves' Disease and Diabetes Type 2, My A1C is 7. My endocrinologist said I can have the surgery. He didn't seem to have any concerns. I trust him but it's my life so I decided to learn more about this disease. I'm worried about Thyroid storm. Do any of you know some who had a thyroid storm while taking and antithyroid meds? Do anyone out there know someone that's had a Tummy Tuck while having Hyper issues? Lastly, have anyone levels changed enough in a month to be within normal range? My Tsh high sensitivity (0.270-4.20) .005 : T4, Free (.90-1.70) 2.05. I take Methimazole 30 mg (3 -10 mg tablets single dose) Atenolol 50 mg.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Graves' Disease & Cosmetic Surgery

I would not rely solely on the endo's word that surgery will be completely safe. I would want to have a hard, honest talk with the anesthesiologist. Uncontrolled hyperthyroidism and general anesthesia can be a volatile combination. With free T4 above range, your disease can't yet be called "controlled". I personally wouldn't risk elective surgery this soon. But, do have that talk with the anesthesiologist. He's the one who'll have the definitive answer for you.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
    Alabamamoma
    (female)

Alabamamoma HB User
    Re: Graves' Disease & Cosmetic Surgery

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I should have mentioned in the original post that I will be given an spinal epidural block and not general anesthesia. I will have an anesthesiologist during the procedure, so I will speak to one in advance. You are right, it may not be wise to have an elective procedure, I'd hate to cancel because a few of my friends planned to do this together but my health is of my upmost concern. Thanks again!

Closed Thread

Tags
    thyroid disease, thyroid medication