It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• how do i know if levothyroxine will work for me?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
    Miss SMC
    (female)

Miss SMC HB User
    how do i know if levothyroxine will work for me?

I know I'm being impatient, but I'm really anxious to know if levothyroxine will work for me. I've been taking it for about 3 weeks now. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I gained a significant amount of weight this semester, and had extreme exhaustion, depression, back pain, and unrestful sleep. I've read so much about how different brands (or whatever it is) of levothyroxine will work differently. And that the brand name Synthroid can work differently than levothyroxine. Also, I've read some talk that lexothyroxine is horrible, and that I should take natural thyroid, such as Armour. I'm DESPERATE to lose weight, which has been impossible for me thus far... and also very depressing and discouraging. That's probably my biggest concern at the moment. I also have a lot of issues with the exhaustion/apathy. I was toot tired to go out with friend or basically leave my bedroom for months, and I have to take adderall to keep myself awake all day (or otherwise I'll just keep sleeping). It seems like some of my energy may be coming back, but I'm not positive since I'm still take adderall as well. How long does it take to figure out if this levothyroxine is right for me? Or if I need to try a different levothyroxine. Also, how long does it take to start losing weight on this medication? Is there any way to expedite the weight-loss process (besides working out/eating healthy)?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: how do i know if levothyroxine will work for me?

Three weeks is less than a nanosecond in the thyroid world. You have to be prepared to be patient in the long haul. Thyroid hormone isn't a fast fix like aspirin is for a headache.

If the sources of your information about how brands work and what is the best med are thyroid user forums, you're bound to get confused. That's because each patient's experience can vary wildly from the next. Therefore, you can't take those individual experiences to build an information base from which to work. If you want basic facts, get a copy of Thyroid for Dummies from the library or bookstore. Reading and understanding it will help you know what to expect and what to ask of your doctor if his version of treatment doesn't work well enough.

Most people do well with either a branded or generic levothyroxine. They all have the same active ingredient. This is a lab-created version of the hormone (T4) the the thyroid gland produces in the largest amount. If there is a problem with enough of that T4 converting to T3 within an individual's body, natural thyroid then becomes a good substitute for the levothyroxine, because it contains T3 and smaller amounts of the other hormones naturally produced in the thyroid gland. It's wise to wait and see how the levoT works for you before switching to anything else. The waiting period? About 6 months. By then you'll have a good idea what it will do for you.

LevoT isn't a weight loss drug. So I hate to say it, but you shouldn't expect that the weight will automatically drop off once your dose is optimized. That only rarely happens. It's very likely you'll still have to work at it, and perhaps... To work even harder than someone who has healthy thyroid function.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    bluesa (08-17-2014)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    hypothyroidism, levothyroxine, synthroid, thyroid