It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Cancer, Hashimoto's, Graves?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
    Kennysmom3907
    (female)

Kennysmom3907 HB User
    Cancer, Hashimoto's, Graves?

I am very confused at what I was told by my PCP. I have been referred to an Endocrinologist to test for Thyroid cancer and I am starting to get real nervous and worried about what is going to happen on friday. My TPO Ab is 168 (ref 0-34); Thyroglobulin, Antibody is 11.9 (ref 0.0-0.9); T3 is 1.88 (ref 0.77-4.22 nmol/l); FT4 is 9.32 (ref 7.86-22.70 pmol/l) and TSH is 0.84 (ref 0.35-4.50 uUl/ml) -- Vit D is also low at 29.9L (ref 30.0-100.0 ng/mL....

What does all of this mean? My PCP told me that all of my symptoms were hypo but that my labs showed hyper. Also based on these lab values and coupled with the fact that I have solid nodules measuring 2cm on the left and 1.8cm on the right that I was basically looking at Thyroid cancer and I would be told more once I met with the endocrinologist. I am going to the endocrinologist in 2 days but that does not answer my questions today and help me sleep any better. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Cancer, Hashimoto's, Graves?

Your PCP is wrong on at least two counts. There isn't anything hyperthyroid about your labs. Your FT4 and T3 are most definitely in the hypOthyroid range. He's being fooled by the lowish-TSH, but he ought to be smarter than that to have a medical degree.

And you aren't necessarily "looking at thyroid cancer". If he used that exact phrase, he's a fool. Yes, the nodules are large and need to be biopsied. But about 95% of nodules are NOT cancer. If one is, the cancer is more than 95% completely curable. Don't let your PCP scare you like that. Hopefully, the endo will be better at his job. Let us know how that goes.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
    kate1177
    (female)

kate1177 HB User

I was just wondering can you see or feel the nodules?? My tpo and tgab are both high and tsh t3 and t4 are all on the low side. I can feel or see any nodules but I'm getting a ultrasound on Tuesday. Post your results and Ill be thinking of you hope all works out!!

Old 08-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
    Kennysmom3907
    (female)

Kennysmom3907 HB User

My endo explained the options a little better and was not as concerned with my labs as my PCP. I am going to have a biopsy scheduled soon and will know more after that. I was told that I could opt to do an uptake & scan to see other they are "hot" nodules but since I am self pay I could potentially have to pay for that as well as a biopsy. I definitely felt better after reading your comment and meeting with the endocrinologist. I will keep you posted on what I find out

The following user gives a hug of support to Kennysmom3907:
    midwest1 (08-10-2014)
    Reply Reply

Tags
    thyroid - testing soon, thyroid blood tests, thyroid cancer