It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid maybe?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
    Jake724
    (male)

Jake724 HB User
    Thyroid maybe?

Hi I would really appreciate some advice here. A quick health history, I suffer with mild depression, have put on over 2 stone in a year and feel constantly tired, ill, foggy headed. I ache and have recently on 3 occasions had swelling for no reason in my neck along my collarbone area. I suffer with heavy periods extremely dry cracked heels and my ankles and eyelids swell up quite badly and often. I have iron deficiency and stomach problems also.... I recently had an MRI scan with the results as follows. I'm wondering are these symptoms similar to a thyroid problem? I have regular bloods done for my iron so surely a problem would show. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
    MRI report : Both thyroid glands are moderately enlarged more on the right side. The right thyroid measures 3 x 2.5 x 7.2 cms. The thickness of the isthmus is 9/10 mms. The thyroid gland appears minimally heterogeneous but no obvious focal mass could be identified.
    Please also note This MRI was done due to a car accident I had 4 months previous and wasn't for my thyroid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Thyroid maybe?

Yes, it could be low thyroid. But you need blood tests to diagnose it; the MRI isn't conclusive, although thyroid enlargement is a frequent sign that the gland is struggling to produce enough hormone for the body's needs.

In the UK, it can be a challenge to get a diagnosis. You will probably be given only a TSH test, but you really need free T4 as well... and TPO and Tg antibodies tests if you can get them. If your TSH is above 2 (even if within range), there it's likely too high and indicative of low thyroid. If free T4 is below lab median, it's likely too low... indicative of low thyroid as well.

Good luck!

Old 09-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
    Jake724
    (male)

Jake724 HB User

Thanks so much for your reply, I've been for a blood test today because I suffer with low iron and when I visited gp I told him off my symptoms. He sent me for an X-ray on my neck area and also took bloods but from what I could see on form there was no request for the ones you mentioned. The doc sent me for : Cholesterol [BH_CHOL]
    Cholesterol /HDL ratio [BH_CHR]
    Estimated GFR [BH_EGFR]
    Ferritin [BH_FERK]
    Full Blood Count (FBC, Hb, WBC) [BH_F]
    Glucose fasting [BH_GF]
    Liipid Profile fasting [BH_LIP]
    Liver Function test (LFT) [BH_L]
    Would any of these test or show up an abnormality within the thyroid?
    Thanks again for your reply
    Ok a quick update: doc has detested me for serum free t4 level and Serum TSH level and is now sending me for a ultrasound and a thyrois antibody test or something along those lines. He said although my results came back ok he still worried about my symptoms and wants more tests. I'm just pleased he is listening to my concerns. He also felt my thyroid and said he could feel swelling. My t4 an TSH results where as fiollows
    T4 level = 13.2 pmol/L
    TSH level = 0.6 mU/L original result 0.60 mu/L (0.35 - 5.5)
    I'm unclear what theses results mean but he said they within range

Last edited by Jake724; 09-09-2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Update on test results

Old 09-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Not one of those tests will show problems with the thyroid. Not even the X-ray. Thyroid sonography (ultrasound) is the proper imaging exam for thyroid enlargement. I'm sorry to tell you that you most likely will not get a proper thyroid diagnosis if you stay with that doctor.

Edit to add: I skipped by your mention of a car accident too quickly. Neck injuries - such as whiplash and other neck trauma - are a verified cause of thyroid disorders, usually hypothyroidism. Although, you did say you've noticed changes for at least a year. So maybe not. Just thought I'd mention it. You still need the proper blood tests and an ultrasound to tell what's going on thyroidwise.

Last edited by midwest1; 09-04-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
    Jake724
    (male)

Jake724 HB User

Thanks again for your help and just as I thought the bloods was pointless to my diagnosis if it's a thyroid problem. Also I didn't make myself clear in my 1st post, the MRI was done 4 maths ago for a car accident I had over a year previous it was for insurance purposes and the thyroid came up I assume as just something they had seen on the MRI. I have suffered these symptoms for a long while but couldn't say for sure if they started before or after the car accident all I can say is I feel I'll almost daily with one thing or another and for last 3 days I am completely drained feel sick weak dizzy although this could just b a bug. Just seems all symptoms fit with a thyroid even my carpel tunnel could b.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:28 AM   #6
    Jake724
    (male)

Jake724 HB User

I forgot to ask also if my doc refuses to give a blood test for thyroid can I get it done private ? Has anyone else had this problem and what did they do. I'm going on wed to get results for the bloods I have already had done and wanted to ask him for thyroid function test.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #7
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I don't know exactly how the system works in England.
    Here in most parts of the US, you can pretty much get the tests you want as long as you're willing to pay for them.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #8
    Jake724
    (male)

Jake724 HB User
    Smile Re: Thyroid maybe?

Hi thanks for reply, in England we don't pay so I'm not sure if we get the rights to choose unless we go privately and even then I'm not sure. Thanks again

Closed Thread