It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Anxiety or Hyperthyroid? Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
    wanderlust2386
    (female)

wanderlust2386 HB User
    Anxiety or Hyperthyroid? Help!

Ever since about March this year, I started experiencing Panic Attacks and high anxiety. Along with that, I also had chest pain, fatigue, back & neck pain, etc. Doctor did all the blood work, chest X-rays, and an EKG. All normal. Naturally he puts me on Zoloft and Xanax for the panic. Nothing is helping. I'm getting frustrated. I went off Zoloft because it didn't help and only turned me into a zombie. I take Xanax only when needed and it's usually to quiet my heart palpitations. Because of all this going on, I can't tell if my main problem has always been anxiety or if I'm now having anxiety over what is wrong with me. A part of me suspects Hyperthyroid because of all my symtpoms. I have heart palpitations, mostly at night. I'm very sensitive to heat. Very recently I have had no appetite, but I'm hungry if that makes sense. I can't concentrate. My skin is itchy, especially when trying to sleep. I'm nervous and shaky. I'm absolutely exhausted for no reason everyday. I have terrible insomnia. The problem is my TSH was 1.0, which is normal. Is there a way this could still be hyperthyroid? I just have a hard time believing that this level of anxiety I have just came out of nowhere. Now I am just getting depressed, because my quality of life is not good. I'm even seeing a therapist and it's doing nothing. I feel like there is more going on. Any advice? Is his something I could possibly have or am I stretching?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Anxiety or Hyperthyroid? Help!

You could be tested for your free t3/free t4 levels and see if those are high---also sometimes you could have a nodule that is "hot" putting a little extra hormone in your system. Maybe a psychiatrist (as opposed to a therapist) might have more insights in terms of hormones/chemcials that could be ruled out first. They know about thyroid and other issues as well often.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
    AllTrev
    (male)

AllTrev HB User

I have hyperthyroidism due to graves disease along with general anxiety disorder. I'd recommend seeing an endocrinologist who can test thoroughly for an overactive thyroid. My endo prescribed me atenolol which really helped the anxiety from the overactive thyroid and it was something I could take every day. Now that my thyroid is "under control" my PCP that I see for GAD has me on xanax .5mg 3-4x/day and said they may switch me over to valium 5mg 2x/day if the xanax stops working. Really hope somewhere in my ramblings you can find something useful.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #4
    Isabelle99
    (female)

Isabelle99 HB User

From what I've read from other patients with thyroid problems that anxiety could very easily be from the thyroid issues. Your symptoms match what is on the list.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
    AllTrev
    (male)

AllTrev HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isabelle99 View Post
    From what I've read from other patients with thyroid problems that anxiety could very easily be from the thyroid issues. Your symptoms match what is on the list.
    The anxiety I felt from hyperthyroidism pales in comparison to the anxiety and panic I feel from GAD. It ranged from a bit nervous, a little shaky, a sense of excitement (not a happy kind of excitement). Nothing that wouldn't go away almost as soon as I left the situation. GAD on the other hand I don't wish on my worst enemy. Before meds I did everything possible to avoid any situation that I thought might (just might) cause a panic attack. I'd gladly take the anxiety from hyperthyroidism over this crap any day. At least then I could function like a normal person.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #6
    Isabelle99
    (female)

Isabelle99 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllTrev View Post
    The anxiety I felt from hyperthyroidism pales in comparison to the anxiety and panic I feel from GAD. It ranged from a bit nervous, a little shaky, a sense of excitement (not a happy kind of excitement). Nothing that wouldn't go away almost as soon as I left the situation. GAD on the other hand I don't wish on my worst enemy. Before meds I did everything possible to avoid any situation that I thought might (just might) cause a panic attack. I'd gladly take the anxiety from hyperthyroidism over this crap any day. At least then I could function like a normal person.
    Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I connected the anxiety to the thyroid thinking thyroid fluctuations can cause such anxiety. I've only had two panic attacks in my life and they both came on sudden and both were paralyzing. One on a job and one squeezed among a mass of other people at a bus stop in downtown Atlanta - end of work day.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
    AllTrev
    (male)

AllTrev HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isabelle99 View Post
    Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I connected the anxiety to the thyroid thinking thyroid fluctuations can cause such anxiety. I've only had two panic attacks in my life and they both came on sudden and both were paralyzing. One on a job and one squeezed among a mass of other people at a bus stop in downtown Atlanta - end of work day.
    Thyroid hormones outside of a normal range can cause anxiety and other similar feelings/symptoms. Just in my experience the anxiety I suffered at the hand of hyperthyroidism was much more tolerable and manageable without meds as compared to GAD. I was prescribed atenolol at one point when my thyroid levels were high to control the anxiety. I found it worked really well but my endocrinologist took me off it because my heart rate was too low. So in wanderlusts situation if the anxiety is caused from a thyroid condition and it's not too severe or debilitating I'd recommend the atenolol.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #8
    Sadtosay
    Veteran
    (female)

Sadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB User

You could almost be me, right now.

Four weeks ago mu doctor tested me and my levels were all still not optimal and we decided that I would go from 90 mg Erfa to 105. I never did actually get the new dose going on a regular basis, because a few days later I started to have mild palpitations at night; ten days later I was not sleeping at all because my heart was racing and pounding all night long.

My doctor thinks I am hyper even though my levels did not indicate that I was; I am to drop my dose for a while, get another test, and put me on a beta blocker to stop the pounding.

I still don't sleep well, but at least I'm not listening to the racket all night long.

Is your doctor going to test your other thyroid numbers? Free T3 and Free T4? Your Free T3 could be too high for you, maybe.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, hyperthyroid, panic, panic attack disorder