It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• very confused by conflicting numbers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
    61beadbabe
    (female)

61beadbabe HB User
    very confused by conflicting numbers

I have been hypothyroid for 15 + years. About 4 years ago I started having flipflop results but still presenting with a slow thyroid. I have been seeing a endocrinologist for about 2 years now and I still keep doing this. She calls me hyperthyroid but I still feel hypo. Now she told me that shes making the lab rerun my labs as the results don't make since. My TSH shows I am hyperthyroid and my Free T4 says I am hypothyroid. whats going on. I have several autoimmune conditions, ( Sjogrens syndrome, psoriatic arthritis to name a few) I am really confused and wondering if something else is going on besides just my thyroid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: very confused by conflicting numbers

There are 2 types of hypothyroidism. The most common type, primary, is when the thyroid gland itself fails to produce hormones. This is often autoimmune based, from antibodies attacking the thyroid and destroying it over time. This will cause low T4 and T3 with high TSH, which comes from the pituitary gland. The other type secondary hypothyroidism, is caused by failure of the pituitary gland to produce TSH, which stimulates the thyroid gland to produce its hormones. This will cause low TSH, lowT3 ad low T4. Small benign pituitary tumors can cause this, as well as pituitary failure from other causes. If TSH plus T3 and T4 are all low, the pituitary must be looked at. This can be done by blood tests and MRI, checking the other pituitary hormones and looking for a small adenoma (benign tumor) in pituitary gland. I would ask your endo about this so you get treated for hypothyroidism appropriately, and look for other endocrine deficiencies.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    lizcisneros1 (01-18-2015)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    thyroid disease