It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Need Insights on Lab Results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
    Davids1Mom
    (female)

Davids1Mom HB User
    Question Need Insights on Lab Results

Hello. This is my first time posting. I just had thyroid tests done and theses are the results.
    My free t3=2.39, free t4=0.74, tsh=2.91. Four months ago, free t3=2.43, free t3=0.69, tsh=2.99.
    I am always tired. I wake up tired even after 7-8 hrs sleep. I am always very cold,have to wear multiple layers around the house and 2 pairs of socks to bed. I have chilblains/raynauds in both feet (past 3 winters), I now have a fungal toenail infection in the toes affected by this. I have bilateral hip bursitis, macular degeneration, hypertension. A few years ago I was very deficient in vitamin D, but level is better with daily supplements. I have had a positive ANA for a few years now.
    My pcp doesn't seem concerned with the thyroid results. My rheumatologist didn't seem concerned 4 months ago, he hasn't seen new results yet, I have an appointment next week. I'm in a lot of pain from my hip bursitis, usually my Rheumy tells me to do the hip exercises and reminds me I need to lose some weight (as if I didn't know that), but I lack the motivation and energy to exercise.
    I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the labs, as my free T3 is obviously low. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Need Insights on Lab Results

You should post the lab's reference range for each test for us to be sure; but it appears you are very hypothyroid, based on the results of all three tests.

If you can't get your MD to agree to at least a trial of thyroid hormone, find one who will. I think you'll benefit.
    Good luck!

Old 01-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #3
    Davids1Mom
    (female)

Davids1Mom HB User

Thanks, Midwest1,
    Here are the labs with reference ranges:
    Free T4= .74 (.61-1.60)
    TSH= 2.91 (.49-4.67)
    Free T3= 2.43 (2.5-3.9)

Wouldn't my TSH be higher with hypothyroidism?
    I sure do struggle to make it through the day with this fatigue. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
    Davids1Mom
    (female)

Davids1Mom HB User

So, I go to my Rheumatologist in two days and I will show him the results of my latest labs (above) as I have done before. I have a feeling he will look at them and blow them off. I don't know what to say to him because I really don't know how to interpret them.

Can anyone help me? Since I posted the reference ranges, does it still look hypo? I'm trying to get opinions before I see him. I have read the ranges for TSH have changed (0.3-3.0) but not all docs go with this. That would make a big difference!
    I'll be looking forward to seeing what you all have to say, I value your knowledge!!

Old 01-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Sorry I missed your follow-up question.

People with healthy thyroids have TSH around 1, on average. Yours is plenty high enough to be abnormal. If you have thyroid antibodies as most people with low thyroid do, they can keep TSH from appropriately rising; so it can still appear "normal" even after free T4 and free T3 have fallen below your optimal levels. You should have those antibody tests run. If they're positive, it helps convince some doctors that thyroid treatment is needed. Since you already are ANA-positive, you may very well be TPO or Tg-positive. (However, if they're negative, it doesn't mean you don't have low thyroid. The tests have a false-negative rate of up to 20%.)

TSH is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid one. The test was developed before tests to measure T4 and T3 were, and is used as an indirect measure of what your pituitary thinks your thyroid is doing. T4 and T3 are thyroid hormones that can be easily and accurately directly measured. When T4 and T3 are too low for your body's needs, symptoms happen. Bottom-range T4 and T3 are abnormal for most of the population. Those levels are LOW and need supplementation, even if TSH is not astronomically high.

I would not expect a rheumatologist to have any idea about any of this. Nor would I expect him to be willing to treat your low thyroid even if he did agree you have it. You'll need to find a savvy GP, internist, or DO to properly treat it. Good endos are rare when it comes to hypothyroidism. You'll likely do better with one of the others.

I'd keep pursuing this, if I were you. I had to fight for my own treatment... Saw three MDs before finding a good one. It was worth it.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:19 AM   #6
    mystique123
    (female)

mystique123 HB User

Hi!

I have the same complaints, have you talked to your rhemotologist? any news?

Closed Thread

Tags
    hypothyroidism, thyroid, thyroid disorder