It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Weird Lab Results - Thyroid Problem

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #1
    nick736
    (male)

nick736 HB User
    Weird Lab Results - Thyroid Problem

First of all, I am new to this site so Hello!!

Here are my lab results:
    T4 FREE 0.97
    TSH 5.55

ACTH Test:
    CORTISOL BASELINE - 11.0
    CORTISOL 30 MIN 22.1
    CORTISOL 60 MIN 25.0

FSH - <0.66
    LH 2.3
    PROLACTIN LEVEL 10.5
    TESTOSTERONE TOTAL - 587

So I got these results today and have yet to speak to my doctor. I have had horrible problems my whole life and I am finally starting to crack down on the cause. I am a 21 year old male. My question to anyone out there is can you shed some light on these results?? I am going to list my symptoms down below. I also have type 1 diabetes and take Zoloft and Vyvanse. What struck me as odd was the FSH, LH, T4, TSH, and a blood test that I did about two months ago had my total testosterone at 357 which is quite low as well. Is there any advice that anyone can offer to me for what to say to my doctor and what I should consider during this visit. I have diabetes and see an endocrinologist for that and so hes dealing with this stuff for now.

Other info is that I had a head injury when I was 6 years old and went through what I believe to be "early puberty" after that. I am thinking that my pituitary gland and/or hypothalamus could be damaged.

Thank you everyone!

Constant fatigue
    Headaches
    Dizziness
    Poor Concentration
    Poor Memory
    Can NOT gain weight
    Poor Stamina
    Constant Sleepiness
    Insomnia
    Afternoon Naps
    Literally CAN NOT function on less than 8 hours of sleep
    Anxiety
    Mild Depression
    Light Headedness
    Head rushes upon standing
    Shortness of Breath
    Shaky Hands
    Rapid heartbeat
    Nervousness/Irritability
    Increased Sweating
    Craving Salt
    (more to list but these are what I can think of right now)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2015, 02:56 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Weird Lab Results - Thyroid Problem

Hi Nick and welcome! It is always helpful to list your lab results with the lab's normal ranges in parentheses. If you can do that, we can see at a glance whether your numbers are high, low or ok. Your TSH is high and many people are using 3.0 as an upper cutoff now instead of 5.0. Your free T4 is borderline low, so you appear to be hypothyroid, which could account for the majority of your symptoms. Your endo will likely put you on some form of thyroid replacement, and you should feel better within a few weeks (takes about 6 weeks or longer until dose is adjusted just right) but you can start feeling better the first week of treatment. Your adrenal function looks fine as you more than doubled your baseline cortisol at 60 minutes. If you would repost your pituitary levels with reference ranges, I will comment on those as well. Since we aren't Drs., and endocrine stuff gets complicated, we need help so we don't have to look up every reference range. Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to ladybud:
    nick736 (03-23-2015)
    The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    nick736 (03-23-2015)
    Old 03-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #3
    nick736
    (male)

nick736 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Weird Lab Results - Thyroid Problem

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    Hi Nick and welcome! It is always helpful to list your lab results with the lab's normal ranges in parentheses. If you can do that, we can see at a glance whether your numbers are high, low or ok. Your TSH is high and many people are using 3.0 as an upper cutoff now instead of 5.0. Your free T4 is borderline low, so you appear to be hypothyroid, which could account for the majority of your symptoms. Your endo will likely put you on some form of thyroid replacement, and you should feel better within a few weeks (takes about 6 weeks or longer until dose is adjusted just right) but you can start feeling better the first week of treatment. Your adrenal function looks fine as you more than doubled your baseline cortisol at 60 minutes. If you would repost your pituitary levels with reference ranges, I will comment on those as well. Since we aren't Drs., and endocrine stuff gets complicated, we need help so we don't have to look up every reference range. Thanks!
    Thanks for the reply Ladybud! One of the reasons I actually wanted to post this was because my doctor faxed these results over with NO reference ranges or even units of measurement...
    I find this to be very unprofessional and annoying but fortunately the receptionist said that the doctor mailed me an official copy a few days ago so it should be in my mailbox tomorrow.
    I was confused on why my TSH was high and T4 was low at first but I did more research after I saw you mentioned the word "hypothyroid" and it all makes sense to me now.
    I will post my official doctors note when it arrives in the mail (hopefully he wrote something meaningful on it) so I hope you could check that out once I get them up.
    My other question is why did my FSH result say <0.66? does that mean that it was so low of a number that the blood test couldn't actually pick it up or what? Hopefully my doctor will shed some light.
    Again Thank you

Old 03-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
    nick736
    (male)

nick736 HB User

Quote:
    Ok, so I got the letter in the mail today from my doctor and I'm somewhat annoyed. So first of all he is one of those doctors who thinks that all of my problems are in my head and likes to play by the reference ranges only.... So the T4 free range is 0.60 -2.19, TSH range is 0.47-4.68 , and there were NO OTHER RANGES LISTED. He said, and I quote, "Normal Testosterone leels, Low FSH levels. Will discuss at your upcoming appointment. No other evidence of pituitary dysfunction." I CAN ALMOST GUARANTEE I am going to walk in his office on April 10th and he is going to say my TSH and T4 levels are fine even though they aren't and I have almost every symptom. He has done this in the past to me and I am not pleased.

If there is any advice you can offer to me so he doesn't try blowing off my problems and sending me home on my next visit I would appreciate it. This is really stressing me out.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:34 AM   #5
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Nick, it is unfortunate that some Drs. go by the numbers only and don't listen to their patients. The FSH is too low to be detected by the sensitivity of that machine. Prolactin in males is (2-18) and LH (1.8-8.0). FSH and LH stimulate the testes to produce testosterone. These can be low in hypothyroidism, another reason to treat the hypothyroidism. If your Dr tells you you are fine, I would seek another Drs opinion and find someone else to stick with who will treat you.

Last edited by ladybud; 03-24-2015 at 07:35 AM. Reason: clarification

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    nick736 (03-27-2015)
    Old 03-26-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
    nick736
    (male)

nick736 HB User

Quote:
    Nick, it is unfortunate that some Drs. go by the numbers only and don't listen to their patients. The FSH is too low to be detected by the sensitivity of that machine. Prolactin in males is (2-18) and LH (1.8-8.0). FSH and LH stimulate the testes to produce testosterone. These can be low in hypothyroidism, another reason to treat the hypothyroidism. If your Dr tells you you are fine, I would seek another Drs opinion and find someone else to stick with who will treat you.
    Thanks again for the support! I see my diabetes endocrinologist on April 10th and were going to discuss the results and if he says I'm fine then I still have a different endo appt on the 23rd so I really hope that he can assist me. Appreciate the info so much

Closed Thread

Tags
    diabetes, fatigue, fsh/lh, lab results, thyroid blood test