It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Pulsatile Tinnitus after TMJ surgery, heartbeat in ear

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-10-2015, 08:43 PM   #1
    ekranger
    (female)

ekranger HB User
    Pulsatile Tinnitus after TMJ surgery, heartbeat in ear

Hello all,
    I've had TMJ issues about 15 years and recently had my second TMJ surgery. About four days afterwards I noticed being able to hear my heartbeat pulse inside my ear (only one side). It is not a ringing noise and has not affected my balance. This has happened daily, all hours of the day, since a few days post-op (three months now). It is a high pitched whooshing sound and synchronized with my actual heartbeat.

This vein (or artery, I don't know, I think its the temporal artery) that runs vertical along the sides face in front of the ear has been slightly itchy, and that is the artery that what is causing the noise (it can be heard via stethoscope). Its NOT the tiny surgical scar itching: its the surface of the artery. I can see and feel that that part of the artery/vein is fuller with each heartbeat. Each day I have a slight mild dull pain towards the surface of my head. It is a very minor ache, mostly in the area of that ear to the top of my head, but it happens on other areas of the head. They aren't necessarily headaches, but it's a dull aching and increased awareness of that particular area of the head.

My doctor was able to hear it with a stethoscope and is sending me for a CT-angiography, temporal artery. Has anybody on here experienced Pulsatile Tinnitus after having a head-related or jaw related surgery? (or trauma?)

Last edited by ekranger; 08-10-2015 at 09:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
    Melemma
    Inactive
    (female)

Melemma HB User
    Re: Pulsatile Tinnitus after TMJ surgery, heartbeat in ear

Hi sorry I can't relate to this but I see you had surgery. What surgery did you have? I've been told I need it bc my bite is off and could use some advice regarding your experience.

Reply Reply

Tags
    arteriovenous malformation, artery, ct scan with contrast, fistula, tinnitus