It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Jaw pain - won't relax!!!!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-13-2015, 07:32 AM   #1
    seekinghelp77
    (female)

seekinghelp77 HB User
    Jaw pain - won't relax!!!!

This is a bit of a long story but I've been dealing with jaw pain for over 4 weeks now and am desperate. I had my tooth prepared a month ago for a crown and when the hygienist put in my temporary I kept telling her that it was too high. She changed it 5 times but honestly it always felt the same. Finally she said "I'm going to put it in now and if you have problems with it come back." Well it was still too high. I was told I would get used to it. A few days later I had a canker on the inside of my mouth causing a lot of pain. I thought that was the problem, actually. I had bit my mouth during the procedure and when I went back in they cleaned it and said it would go away. And it did. But I was still having jaw pain, headaches, and pain behind my eyes. (please note I had no problems prior to going to the dentist). A few days later the temp fell out but I wasn't able to get in right away I had to wait 3 days. Then they made the temp lower and it felt better, but my jaw was still sore. Two days later my crown was ready and had that placed. My jaw was in pain again, still had headaches, and even had pain and numbness across my cheeks. I felt there was a small part on my crown hitting the bottom tooth. The pain was starting to get a tiny bit better but I could still feel the hitting of the teeth so I went back in and the dentist tested my bite and saw where I was mentioning. He went in and shaved off a bit and asked how it was. I said better and as I was still testing the tooth he said he was going to check the bite again and then shaved off more. I told him it was just a small bit so now I'm worried he made my crown too low! It has now been two weeks, my jaw is not throbbing anymore with pain, but it is still sore, numbness and soreness across my cheeks comes and goes, and my jaw muscles can't seem to relax. I don't know if my jaw is suppose to be open or closed when I'm just sitting and resting. My tooth doesn't hurt where I had the work done. The bite was off and kept changing after he shaved the crown down but I read online that my jaw was out of alignment and I wiggled it back in so that feels better but I still feel pressure on the front of my teeth. It almost feels like my jaw wants to keep going down, when my mouth is closed but my teeth are in the way in the front and opposite side. Oh and this is also werid, so when I eat food and a some is left on my teeth my mouth actually feels comfortable, which again, makes me think the dentist took off too much. I'm so uncomfortable and sore. I am a speaker and need my mouth for my job to talk and I'm hurting at the end of the day. I'm going back to see the dentist any suggestions as to what is happening to my mouth? I just want to feel normal again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
    Gretagirl
    Inactive
    (female)

Gretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB User
    Re: Jaw pain - won't relax!!!!

Ugh! Stories like these give me nightmares.

First of all, your permanent crowns should have not been put in while you were feeling uncomfortable. All changes should have been done on your temps and checked and corrected by the dentist until you were comfortable. Once you started with your bite feeling off, it sounds like your muscle started reacting. You can not get a good position for your temps/crown until your muscles and bite feel comfortable.

Your rest position should be with your tongue resting slightly on the roof of your mouth, lips together, teeth apart. The fact that you now need to focus on this may indicate things are not normal.

Before your dentist makes anymore changes you may need to take a step back and ask him if you need a muscle relaxer to get your muscles in a restful place again. Possibly he needs to do temps again until the dentist can get your teeth in the correct position. Be firm. Don't let him off the hook because it can lead you to a serious TMJ problem as it did with me. Numbness is not normal, ask him why?
    Best of luck. Please let us know how you are doing.

Reply Reply