It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Cortisone Injection For Closed Lock? (Possible Displaced Disc Without Reduction)

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #1
    DM443
    (male)

DM443 HB User
    Question Cortisone Injection For Closed Lock? (Possible Displaced Disc Without Reduction)

So I've been in closed lock for quite some time now. I can't open 2 fingers width without really forcing myself. I've been to all kinds of doctors and tried all kinds of non-invasive treatments over the years.

I was referred to a local doctor today and he's the first person to suggest I get a Cortisone shot in my TM joint on the right side since that's where the problem seems to be. He believes it might loosen up the disc and allow me to get some mobility. Does this sound right? Have any of you had success with getting a cortisone shot in a TMJ in closed lock with a displaced disc?

I have a few concerns with this:

1. I've heard Cortisone injections in general are unsafe and could lead to more problems. He seemed to not agree with this and claims that it's only for consistent use and that anywehere from 1 to 10 cortisone injections shouldn't cause problems. What do you think?

2. I'm not 100% sure if I actually do have a displaced disc and I'm not 100% sure if it's the right side that has the problem but for some reason he's simply taking my word for it and suggesting we treat the right side. It's kind of scary treating something that might not even be the problem in the first place considering the possibility of long term side effects you know? The reason I am not sure is because I'm not able to get an MRI due to the fact that I can't open my mouth wide enough for it, however I have a feeling I have a displaced disc without reduction on my right side simply because my jaw appears to sink into my head (upward) on the right in comparison to the left side (and this is reflected in my smile and pretty much my entire face slants upward on the right) as if it's not sitting on a disc on the right but it is on the left. Also, when I open and close I feel it move and pop out on the left side as I believe it should for a normally functioning TMJ but I don't feel the popping out at all on the right side. What's weird is generally when I have TMJ pain it is on both sides however I have noticed that I get less pain if I chew on my right side (which is weird because that seems to be where the disc is displaced) and sleep on my left side. Does this make any sense and/or hold true for any of you who have confirmed displaced discs with an MRI?

Anyway, he wants me to try the cortisone injections and seems to be talking about it as if it's not a big deal at all but I've just heard so many bad things about them. He told me that if the cortisone shot doesn't help I'm probably going to need surgery and recommended I get that done either at University of Florida or University of Miami. I really am avoiding surgery like the plague from the horror stories I've read online.

Any of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Last edited by DM443; 02-23-2016 at 09:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    cortisone injection, displaced, tmj, tmj disc, tmj surgery