It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Getting Treatment at a University?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-24-2016, 10:49 PM   #1
    DM443
    (male)

DM443 HB User
    Question Getting Treatment at a University?

So I've been all over Florida trying to find an answer for my TMJ (I believe I have a displaced disc without reduction on the right side which has put me in closed lock for about 2 years now) and 2 different doctors mentioned something about going to University of Florida or University of Miami if their treatment didn't work as if it was a last resort. I have a few questions:

1. Why would I go to a college for treatment?
    2. I understand there's a bunch of studies going down so are they suggesting I join one of the studies? Or is there actual treatment that you can pay for going on?
    3. Are you seen by real doctors or students?
    4. Why does it seem like they are suggesting it as a last resort? Do they only do surgery there? Or are they super expensive? Or is it just that these doctors want to get all the money they can out of me and then send me off to something else?

Pardon my ignorance, I'm just honestly confused right now. It seems strange to me to go to a college for treatment and I find it interesting it was suggested by two different people in a similar last resort manner. Have any of you gone to a college for treatment? If so what was your experience?

I just want to be clear I'm not promoting going to these places, I'm just curious what the deal is and there's no information for this kind of question anywhere so I don't know where to go for information regarding TMJ anymore!

Thanks!
    -DJ

Last edited by DM443; 03-24-2016 at 10:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
    Gretagirl
    Inactive
    (female)

Gretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB User
    Re: Getting Treatment at a University?

Good question.
    First you should know that there is no such official thing as a TMJ expert and no set protocols for treatment. Each area you see will treat you according to with they are trained to do.
    I would recommend you to go first to a University Oral Pain department first as they are usually covered by a co pay but not for the expensive splints you will be sold over and over again.
    You would be seen by both a resident but also by a university doctor.
    My advise would be go slow, get as much advise as you can before you do anything.
    Many treatments hurt more then help. Do they least invasive thing.
    Be encouraged that many people can function normally again.

Last edited by Gretagirl; 03-25-2016 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Sp

Reply Reply

Tags
    tmd, tmj, tmj disc, tmj surgery, tmjd