It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

  • Getting Treatment at a University?

  • Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 03-24-2016, 10:49 PM   #1
    Join Date: Dec 2012
    Location: Melbourne, Florida
    Posts: 8
    DM443 HB User
    Question Getting Treatment at a University?

    So I've been all over Florida trying to find an answer for my TMJ (I believe I have a displaced disc without reduction on the right side which has put me in closed lock for about 2 years now) and 2 different doctors mentioned something about going to University of Florida or University of Miami if their treatment didn't work as if it was a last resort. I have a few questions:

    1. Why would I go to a college for treatment?
    2. I understand there's a bunch of studies going down so are they suggesting I join one of the studies? Or is there actual treatment that you can pay for going on?
    3. Are you seen by real doctors or students?
    4. Why does it seem like they are suggesting it as a last resort? Do they only do surgery there? Or are they super expensive? Or is it just that these doctors want to get all the money they can out of me and then send me off to something else?

    Pardon my ignorance, I'm just honestly confused right now. It seems strange to me to go to a college for treatment and I find it interesting it was suggested by two different people in a similar last resort manner. Have any of you gone to a college for treatment? If so what was your experience?

    I just want to be clear I'm not promoting going to these places, I'm just curious what the deal is and there's no information for this kind of question anywhere so I don't know where to go for information regarding TMJ anymore!


    Last edited by DM443; 03-24-2016 at 10:52 PM.

    Reply With Quote
    Sponsors Lightbulb
    Old 03-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
    Join Date: Aug 2013
    Posts: 154
    Gretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB UserGretagirl HB User
    Re: Getting Treatment at a University?

    Good question.
    First you should know that there is no such official thing as a TMJ expert and no set protocols for treatment. Each area you see will treat you according to with they are trained to do.
    I would recommend you to go first to a University Oral Pain department first as they are usually covered by a co pay but not for the expensive splints you will be sold over and over again.
    You would be seen by both a resident but also by a university doctor.
    My advise would be go slow, get as much advise as you can before you do anything.
    Many treatments hurt more then help. Do they least invasive thing.
    Be encouraged that many people can function normally again.

    Last edited by Gretagirl; 03-25-2016 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Sp

    Reply With Quote
    Reply Reply

    tmd, tmj, tmj disc, tmj surgery, tmjd

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:59 AM.

    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!