It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Concerning Symptoms Post Wisdom Tooth Surgery

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-03-2016, 09:18 PM   #1
    Kylebasa
    (male)

Kylebasa HB User
    Concerning Symptoms Post Wisdom Tooth Surgery

Hello, I really need some advice because I've had some concerning symptoms lately (tinnitus on left side, bottom jaw pulls to the left). I'm not sure whether they are due to TMD or not. My symptoms arose shortly after wisdom tooth surgery and I see my surgeon again on Monday. I am an 18 year old male by the way.

My symptoms started about a month and a week ago. My teeth suddenly started to fit differently in my retainer. I thought this was due to the wisdom tooth on my top left emerging and possibly pushing my other teeth. Because of this, I quickly scheduled for wisdom tooth surgery as I didn't want my teeth to be misaligned any further. Additionally, during this week, my jaw popped twice on my left side while singing. It was only slightly painful so I didn't think much of it, but that had never happened to me before.

I went in for wisdom tooth surgery and everything seemed perfectly fine for about 5 days. I started eating more solid foods on the 5th day and the jaw popping on my left side seemed to come back with greater frequency. Additionally, I started hearing tinnitus on my left side. Along with my tinnitus, I was hearing popping in my left ear (similar to that when you're in an airplane) every time I swallowed during days 9-11 post surgery. The popping quickly subsided, but not the tinnitus.

Another aspect of my symptoms is that the jaw popping seems to be aggravated more when I drag my lower jaw forward rather than opening my jaw wide. So for example, eating pizza aggravates it a lot because I have to pinch off a bite with my incisors. If I stick to foods that I can cut and put directly between my molars, I have no problem. Additionally, I can feel a bump on my left side where the jaw popping occurs. I don't know if that is normal, but it is definitely more protruded on days where the pain is worse, and is absent on my right side. Also, when I open my mouth wide, my bottom jaw is noticeably misaligned with my top jaw, falling towards the left.

I did see my surgeon a week after surgery. He took X-rays and said that he believed my symptoms would subside shortly as swelling reduce.

It's been about 2 and a half weeks since my surgery. My jaw has gotten slightly better than it was at about a week and a half after surgery, which is when it was worst. My tinnitus however has stayed the same and even feels like it may be gradually getting worse. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Last edited by Kylebasa; 09-03-2016 at 09:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply