It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• TMJ for six months, various symptoms, no solutions

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-29-2016, 02:32 AM   #1
    Nemophilist
    (female)

Nemophilist HB User
    TMJ for six months, various symptoms, no solutions

Hello,

About six months ago while I was studying in the UK, I started to have a bit of pain at the back of my teeth on right side. I thought, probably wisdom tooth growing. It passed, came back for a few days again a few weeks later, then passed again. Haven't had it for a couple of months.

I returned home and eventually I started to wake up with my jaw aching, kind of like you would've slept on it for too long. I saw my dentist, found out that I do not have wisdom teeth at all (inherited from mother). Started to think maybe pain is caused by one of my teeth that have fillings on right side (bottom). Drilled it, didn't really find anything, so kept sitting with temporary filling just in case.

One day it got really bad. I got a feverish temperature, headache, massive burning aching on the right side. Went to the hospital, got sent to jaw surgeon. The surgeon did panoramic x-ray and said it's probably TMJ. Don't eat hard foods etc etc.

It got a bit better for a month again. Drank medications, the usual anti-inflammatory stuff. Then one evening it got so bad, couldn't sleep the whole night, both sides were burning, my cheeks hurt terribly. Tried contacting dentists, jaw surgeons, everything. Only got more, stronger drugs.

Eventually, my eyes started to get affected. Bloodshot, sore, basically got dry eye syndrome. Plus, blurry slightly and kind of TV feedback looking vision, if you know what I mean? Just like a video wouldn't be HD and pixels are moving. This is obviously a neurological thing but not a single neurologist found any problems with me.

I eventually visited the best jaw surgeon we have in the country. He touched my joints and stuff and just couldn't notice anything off.

So, I finally had a TMJ MRI. Both resting jaw, opened, and while opening it. Just got results and there's no pathology. Both joints are well with no signs of any sort of issue. I'm back at nothing.

What surprises me is if it is TMJ, wouldn't MRI show an inflammation in the joint? Or anything like that? Can this really be TMJ?

I should note my jaw doesn't lock, it's a bit discomforting to open it at times, and I do have a sound when I open it most times, but I had it since childhood. The pain is the same, teeth feel like they hurt a bit, sometimes more, especially the right bottom, headache, eye dryness, can't live without eyedrops, sore throat, cheek pain, everywhere around the right side, except ears. Surprisingly, I read most people have ear problem and I do not.

Anyone had any similar symptoms? One jaw surgeon when I mention small feverish temperature and eye problems said it can't be jaw, maybe something else... Others say TMJ and others just have no idea.

One dentist now wants to make me a splint I guess, just said it has to be made to fit on my bottom teeth in a lab, but I keep reading very mixed 'reviews' on that stuff.

Since this thing I also have dark eyes, blueish colour under them too, lost weight and my hair is falling out, had slight anemia as well but it seems it's back to normal, however it's still worrying if a jaw can do so much damage... Can't sleep well either really, feel tired mostly, just nothing is right.

Thank you, any input would be appreciated, I'm pretty lost right now and just want to start living a life rather than sitting home and running to see 50 doctors that find nothing...

Last edited by Nemophilist; 09-29-2016 at 02:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
    IndyGirl1
    (female)

IndyGirl1 HB UserIndyGirl1 HB User
    Re: TMJ for six months, various symptoms, no solutions

Hi There.. is it possible you may be clenching or grinding your teeth at night? Sometimes stress can cause someone to begin clenching or grinding at night... this puts huge stresses on the jaw and jaw muscles... if it happens long enough then the muscles begin to hurt. This would certainly explain why your back teeth were hurting you... I believe when we clench, the back teeth are most affected. Believe it or not muscles and nerves in the jaw and face can affect many surrounding areas in the head and neck... like you mentioned with ear pain.. but eye pain and eye troubles are common also.

I am not a doctor and do not know if an MRI would show inflammation in the jaw disc space- I know it allows doctors to see soft tissue damage, discs, bone, etc... but I'm not sure if they would be able to see slight inflammation. It is good that you do not have any disc involvement/displacement or condyle bone loss.

If indeed you are grinding at night, an over the counter nightguard may help protect your teeth. You may need to try some anti-stress techniques to help stop/prevent this from continuing to happen when you are sleeping.

Just an idea that you may want to look into. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
    Nemophilist
    (female)

Nemophilist HB User

Thank you. I started to wonder if I might be clenching or grinding, I have no idea but the dentist wants to get the splint thing done on Monday (to send it to the lab), so I guess I will get it as there aren't any other options really anyways. Have to try.

I am trying to relax, will have a psychologist appointment in two weeks to try find better ways for it, but it's not an easy task really. Especially when I sleep. I just hope if there is no actual joint/disc/tissue damage, maybe it would heal eventually.

Thank you again for the reply!

Old 09-30-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
    IndyGirl1
    (female)

IndyGirl1 HB UserIndyGirl1 HB User

What kind of splint is this dentist making for you? It isn't one that changes the position of the jaw correct? Is it just a regular bite guard to protect your teeth from grinding?

Seeing a psychologist is a great idea! Do you feel more stressed lately than usual... think back to around the time frame when the symptoms began, were you over stressed at that time?

Some people who grind have found stress relief techniques such as yoga or meditation helpful to prevent or decrease their grinding at night.... some doctors prescribe anti anxiety medications that help some people... it is really just a trial and error to see what works.

In the meantime, try to eat soft foods and use hot compresses on the jaw/cheeks to relax the muscles. Try not to take too many anti-inflammatory medications (advil) as those can hurt your stomach if you have too much.

Good Luck!

Old 09-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #5
    Nemophilist
    (female)

Nemophilist HB User

I think it's the one for jaw correcting, I don't know, it's just like made by the way your teeth are specifically, will be put on bottom teeth, expensive as heck too... very thick material the dentist told me and he made me until Monday to put one of those cotton straw thingies they put in your mouth, between my teeth and keep my jaw relaxed like that for a while, then close mouth slowly and feel how teeth position, so i guess it is for that?

Actually it all started for me after someone I loved died. I was going through a lot, for months took care of them, as they had two surgeries, I was all on my own... It was honestly worst time in my life and yes after that that is when symptoms began... I didn't realize but now I do think it could've been something because of it. I started having constant nightmares too, maybe I clench my teeth during them massively, who knows...

I've read a lot about TMJ since the jaw surgeon told me that's what I have months ago. I use cooling rather than heating because I feel it makes inflammation worse. I did have physiotherapy 10 times with some laser thing, that was crap. I try to have more baths and drink calming tea to relax, I do have medications prescribed for relaxing, specifically for sleep but I try to avoid them. Same with medication, like anti anti-inflammatory drugs. I drank them at first, had these really strong ones too but they did nothing and yeah I was worried about side effects, so I stopped using any drugs, sometimes just drink simple paracetamol.

Thank you again!

Reply Reply

Tags
    tmj, tmj disorder