It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Open bite/TMD - surgery after many years?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #1
    boston0490
    (male)

boston0490 HB User
    Open bite/TMD - surgery after many years?

Hey everyone, new to the board and hoping to get some advice.

I am 27 years old male and have had TMJ/muscular pain issues ever since might be bite unexplainably changed into an open bite when I was 19. For those first couple years I had localized pain and classic TMJ symptoms (clicking/popping, tension headaches, ringing in the ears, etc.) but overtime my symptoms progressed as I started developing neck/back and other musculoskeletal chronic pain issues. I have tried all the conservative treatments - different mouth guards for bruxism, chiro, massage, trigger point injections, muscle relaxers, heat/ice, yoga, cranial sacral therapy, diet changes but has made a lasting difference. I have tried different mouth guards at night but none have ever seen to alleviate the symptoms in any truly significant way and as such I've just learned to live with it.

I have received a diverse set of opinions over the years with some dentists adamant that I need address the bite issue if I want to start feeling somewhat like my old self again. At one point, right after this all started, I tried braces but after several months and no major improvement I stopped treatment after a pain center in Boston recommended trying other conservative approaches first as they made it clear that fixing the bite wouldn't necessarily help the symptoms (and as 20 year old college student I was happy to give up wearing braces assuming they MIGHT not help after all). However, overall my symptoms have only gotten worse over the years and so I am now seriously considering aggressive treatment like braces/surgery in order to correct the bite (I only hit on my back molars). I wouldn't expect it to "cure" everything but over the past year or so I've had more difficulty speaking and feel that every I'm constantly trying to compensate for a bite that my brain has never gotten used to.

I went years focused on managing the symptoms and not looking into ways to address the bite issue but feel that I can't keep pushing this off forever (many dentists I have seen would agree).

So I'm curious if anyone has dealt with similar issues and if anyone has any recommendations for me.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2017, 06:55 AM   #2
    MyToeHurts
    (female)

MyToeHurts HB User
    Re: Open bite/TMD - surgery after many years?

I would definitely consult with an orthodontist (or three!) Most offer free consultations. You should explain your symptoms, and although I would be surprised if you are offered any guarantees, there's a good chance that correcting your open bite will help with some of your issues. You might require jaw surgery as well.

I am dealing with a different but related issue with my jaw after fracturing it in the spring. I am currently in braces in an attempt to fix my displaced bite and hope that this will help with my jaw spasms. If not, at least my bite and chewing will be better, and I'll have straight teeth. A silver lining. :-)

Good luck!
    Emily

Old 02-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #3
    ilec
    (female)

ilec HB User
    Re: Open bite/TMD - surgery after many years?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boston0490 View Post
    Hey everyone, new to the board and hoping to get some advice.

I am 27 years old male and have had TMJ/muscular pain issues ever since might be bite unexplainably changed into an open bite when I was 19. For those first couple years I had localized pain and classic TMJ symptoms (clicking/popping, tension headaches, ringing in the ears, etc.) but overtime my symptoms progressed as I started developing neck/back and other musculoskeletal chronic pain issues. I have tried all the conservative treatments - different mouth guards for bruxism, chiro, massage, trigger point injections, muscle relaxers, heat/ice, yoga, cranial sacral therapy, diet changes but has made a lasting difference. I have tried different mouth guards at night but none have ever seen to alleviate the symptoms in any truly significant way and as such I've just learned to live with it.

I have received a diverse set of opinions over the years with some dentists adamant that I need address the bite issue if I want to start feeling somewhat like my old self again. At one point, right after this all started, I tried braces but after several months and no major improvement I stopped treatment after a pain center in Boston recommended trying other conservative approaches first as they made it clear that fixing the bite wouldn't necessarily help the symptoms (and as 20 year old college student I was happy to give up wearing braces assuming they MIGHT not help after all). However, overall my symptoms have only gotten worse over the years and so I am now seriously considering aggressive treatment like braces/surgery in order to correct the bite (I only hit on my back molars). I wouldn't expect it to "cure" everything but over the past year or so I've had more difficulty speaking and feel that every I'm constantly trying to compensate for a bite that my brain has never gotten used to.

I went years focused on managing the symptoms and not looking into ways to address the bite issue but feel that I can't keep pushing this off forever (many dentists I have seen would agree).

So I'm curious if anyone has dealt with similar issues and if anyone has any recommendations for me.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi, have you fixed your open bite issue yet? I have this exact problem and its so hard to eat, chew, talk. how can you live with this for many years? hope you can update me on any treatment options, as I don't know what I can do, I heard about splints that change your jaw position but I haven't seen a dentist that deals with that yet. i was hoping my jaw will somehow move back to the original place but its been almost half a year and no luck.

Reply Reply