It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

Are all of these symptoms related to TMJ?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
MM4
(female)

MM4 HB User
Are all of these symptoms related to TMJ?

Hi all!
I am experiencing either one heck of a TMJ flare-up or something else nerve-related. Hoping for some clarification/assurance here.

Short history: Had braces twice, once as teen and once as adult. Was recently told (after 4+ years of jaw pain and popping) that my orthodontist(s) should have widened my palate but didn't. My bite has always felt off. I am a nighttime clincher. I have broken 4-5 molars and have had about 8 teeth crowned in my mouth (about half were root-canaled first). Still can't find my "normal bite." When When I bite, my incisors and bicuspids hit first. Sometimes my back molars never meet.

Now that all of my teeth are in a "holding position" (all cracked teeth crowned and all other issues resolved), my dentist molded my mouth and has ordered a Dawson B-splint for me. In the meantime he told me to wear an Aqualizer he gave me. It has made my teeth so sore, the teeth that I bite on when wearing it (first and second molars mainly). The soreness makes me alternate between that device and another flat-bottomed, top-fitting mouth guard I ordered online. Both are very flexible and soft. I believe that has increased my clenching. I also believe I mainly clench on the right side, since my left jaw and teeth do not feel nearly as bad as my right.

A recent panoramic x-ray show that my condyle on the right side is completely flattened. When I chew, that side pops every single time. When I move my jaw in circular motions sometimes while chewing, it feels like that condyle is completely coming out of socket.

I have woken up with sore teeth nearly every morning. It's about 30 minutes before I can eat breakfast. About 11am, the tooth soreness slowly gets better but jaw pain sets in. I have constant spasming where my jawbone turns (down and slightly in front of the ear); mastoid muscle? This spasming radiates pain into my lower teeth on that side. I have extreme cramping/pain right under my right earlobe, in that crevice. Watched some videos and found out that may be the digastric muscle?

When I press that spot I feel pain radiating underneath my jaw, down to my chin, and pressure in my bottom front teeth. I also feel it radiating down the back of my neck into my upper back/right shoulder blade.

I know all of these muscles intertwine and all can be inflamed by clenching or jaw dysfunction. This would seem like simple TMJ except for the fact that my right arm and hand sometimes tingles and my bottom teeth (and sometimes the top teeth on that side!) tingle and "hum." My gums feel red and inflamed, almost burned, but they look like the other side/look normal.

I also need to add that I have a severe lack of curve in my cervical spine. I have been seeing a chiropractor for 1-1/2 years and my spine curve has gone from a mere 10% to something more ideal. However, I still have some ways to go. Using a neck block daily in between visits to encourage that curve.

I'm a redhead, so I know that our pain receptors can be wacky. I also have *undiagnosed* fibromyalgia. I have both fibromyalgia and MS in my immediate family. I tend to relay all weird pain and nerve-like symptoms to the fibro or TMJ, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something more sinister.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #2
Sally013
Inactive
(female)

Sally013 HB User
Re: Are all of these symptoms related to TMJ?

I donít have all of your symptoms but I do have several that are worrisome. I actually emailed my neurologist today to see what he thinks.
Iíve always had a tight pulling feeling in front of my right ear and both ears randomly clog, click, pop and poof. I didnít have masseter pain until after I started wearing a splint. My PT did dry needling on it a while back and initially I had worse pain but then it went away completely. My face felt great until I got a crown a week ago. Now I have a constant spasm closer to my nose.

I have left sided lower arm and hand tremors and sometimes my legs feel not quite connected to my body.

My neck and shoulder problems became severe after a chiropractor cracked my neck and used his big hands to roughly massage my shoulders. I was in so much pain for months! My hands and feet would tingle because my neck muscles were so tight they were impeding nerves.

I think TMJ and the chiro were the cause of those issues. He just made it 100% worse. Iíve been in physical therapy for 42 visits (just received my insurance letting warning me I only have 8 left doe the year) and my shoulders and upper back are great. The vice grip holding the base of my skull is gone! Itís only been a few days so it will probably come back with my luck.

I was also told I had a military neck with no curve.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #3
NJ321
(male)

NJ321 HB User

I have quite a lot of the same symptoms as you & I'm wondering about some answers myself. I'm so sick & tired of living like this. Do you get brain fogginess symptoms as well? Where it almost feels like you can't even gather your own thoughts & feel like you're in a dream like state at times. I almost feel nothingness in my mind if that makes sense. I don't know how else to explain it.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #4
IndyGirl1
(female)

IndyGirl1 HB UserIndyGirl1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM4 View Post
Hi all!
I am experiencing either one heck of a TMJ flare-up or something else nerve-related. Hoping for some clarification/assurance here.

Short history: Had braces twice, once as teen and once as adult. Was recently told (after 4+ years of jaw pain and popping) that my orthodontist(s) should have widened my palate but didn't. My bite has always felt off. I am a nighttime clincher. I have broken 4-5 molars and have had about 8 teeth crowned in my mouth (about half were root-canaled first). Still can't find my "normal bite." When When I bite, my incisors and bicuspids hit first. Sometimes my back molars never meet.

Now that all of my teeth are in a "holding position" (all cracked teeth crowned and all other issues resolved), my dentist molded my mouth and has ordered a Dawson B-splint for me. In the meantime he told me to wear an Aqualizer he gave me. It has made my teeth so sore, the teeth that I bite on when wearing it (first and second molars mainly). The soreness makes me alternate between that device and another flat-bottomed, top-fitting mouth guard I ordered online. Both are very flexible and soft. I believe that has increased my clenching. I also believe I mainly clench on the right side, since my left jaw and teeth do not feel nearly as bad as my right.

A recent panoramic x-ray show that my condyle on the right side is completely flattened. When I chew, that side pops every single time. When I move my jaw in circular motions sometimes while chewing, it feels like that condyle is completely coming out of socket.

I have woken up with sore teeth nearly every morning. It's about 30 minutes before I can eat breakfast. About 11am, the tooth soreness slowly gets better but jaw pain sets in. I have constant spasming where my jawbone turns (down and slightly in front of the ear); mastoid muscle? This spasming radiates pain into my lower teeth on that side. I have extreme cramping/pain right under my right earlobe, in that crevice. Watched some videos and found out that may be the digastric muscle?

When I press that spot I feel pain radiating underneath my jaw, down to my chin, and pressure in my bottom front teeth. I also feel it radiating down the back of my neck into my upper back/right shoulder blade.

I know all of these muscles intertwine and all can be inflamed by clenching or jaw dysfunction. This would seem like simple TMJ except for the fact that my right arm and hand sometimes tingles and my bottom teeth (and sometimes the top teeth on that side!) tingle and "hum." My gums feel red and inflamed, almost burned, but they look like the other side/look normal.

I also need to add that I have a severe lack of curve in my cervical spine. I have been seeing a chiropractor for 1-1/2 years and my spine curve has gone from a mere 10% to something more ideal. However, I still have some ways to go. Using a neck block daily in between visits to encourage that curve.

I'm a redhead, so I know that our pain receptors can be wacky. I also have *undiagnosed* fibromyalgia. I have both fibromyalgia and MS in my immediate family. I tend to relay all weird pain and nerve-like symptoms to the fibro or TMJ, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something more sinister.

Thanks in advance.
Hi There,

This all sounds like classic tmjd. Many of us have experienced the arm and hand tingling... the neck muscles spasm and compress the nerves that run down into the arm. The military neck (lack of curve) is very common too- the straightening can be attributed to our tight cervical muscles pulling on the vertebrae.

Good luck with your new splint. Have you tried any medications that could help your grinding? You may want to look into that...

Reply Reply