It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• TMJ: new patient please reply

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
    Annelake
    (female)

Annelake HB User
    TMJ: new patient please reply

I was diagnosed by an ENT 2 days ago, after being treated by my regular doc for what he thought was middle ear/sinus. I have never had this before. My hearing is great, and so are my sinuses. What I have is significant discomfort and sense of ear blockage. My regular doc really did me damage by suggesting I chew gum to pop my ears. So I did, and now I have TMJ. I am being treated with ibuprofen and cyclobenzaprine (muscle relaxant) which knocks me out. I have done the facial exercises recommended on various sites to reduce pain, am using moist heat and ice packs, reducing talking and sleeping on my side with pillow support. What else helps to make this go away? I am unable to work in this state. Do chiropractors help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #2
    T331
    (male)

T331 HB UserT331 HB User
    Re: TMJ: new patient please reply

Still going down the road you are on, luckily you caught it quick. It took 3 visits with my ent. It got to where I had so much pressure against my left ear that I had loss of hearing. I am doing the same thing ice, heat, eating soft foods, talking less, massaging my jaw, etc. I went to my dentist and had a guard made. For me nothing was fixing it, no one did an xray. Finally, I went to a chiropractor, he took x rays. He put two fingers on my check and pushed in gently. He said, “did you hear that” . I heard nothing because of my ear but at that moment the most intense pain ceased and I could hear almost normal. He said you jaw was out of socket. He asked how long I had the problems about (2 months). He told me it would take several months to heal. It has been six weeks. I do everything I can to relax my jaws. I get intra oral massages once a week. Muscle relaxers were helping me but my doctor would only prescribe them for 14 days. I tried to figure out what caused mine. I yawned really hard one day. I felt it all the way down from my ear to my throat. Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
    Bookwrm71
    (female)

Bookwrm71 HB User
    Re: TMJ: new patient please reply

Physical therapy, moist heat, dry needling, jaw exercises, intraoral massage. You might need an orthotic.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bookwrm71 For This Useful Post:
    skyrez (01-29-2018)
    Reply Reply

Tags
    tmj, tmj disorder