It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• TMD recovery prospects?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-23-2018, 05:31 PM   #1
    summerhaze
    (female)

summerhaze HB User
    Smile TMD recovery prospects?

Hi everyone, I'm new here

Been suffering from TMD for 1 year and 4 months now. I had 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out and experienced popping in my jaw. One day about 16 months ago I had a sharp pain in my left jaw while I was licking food stuck in my teeth. Soon after both sides of my jaw were painful.

Luckily I got referred to an manual therapy clinic that used to treat my boyfriend's back injury and started osteopathy treatment. I got a lot of relief and improvement from the first 2 treatments. I remember one day when I was on the phone, I couldn't believe myself the second I opened my mouth to talk. I felt so normal... so good.

But for some reason I've always wanted to try the splint since everyone was talking about it, even if my TMD did not come from clenching or grinding. Only 4 weeks after I started osteopathy treatment, I got my splint and wore it for 2 months. The splint changed my bite, gave me an open bite and my talking, swallowing were all f***ed. Every treatment session my osteopath would ask, why has your opening stopped improving? I couldn't chew or talk probably and I even started drooling. I finally realised that the splint wasn't doing me any good and stopped wearing it, but I still experience, and am recovering from the side effects.

So at the moment, I'm seeing a different osteopath in the same clinic every 2 weeks and getting improvement with every treatment. My bite is still a bit off but it was nowhere near as bad as when I was wearing the splint. I'm also going to get a ***(Platelet Rich Plasma) injection to help with the healing.

I'm just wondering, has anyone on this site ever made a more or less full recovery? I'm happy that progress is being made but still frustrated that I couldn't live my life the way I used to. I can't go out to dinner because there are too many things I can't eat, I can't go out at night with friends, I can't run for exercise... Will I ever be able to live a normal life? How well can I get?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2018, 05:36 AM   #2
    blackcat99
    (female)

blackcat99 HB User
    Re: TMD recovery prospects?

Hi, I am a newbie as well and although I don't know the answer to your question, I am in the same situation as yourself, had wisdom teeth out and my jaw is not opening at all literally about 5mm between the teeth. Am on a liquid diet as can't even put a spoon in between my teeth. Been like this since 14/2

Hope you improve

Reply Reply