It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Constant Daily Headaches

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-29-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
    Dev23
    (male)

Dev23 HB User
    Constant Daily Headaches

I've been having constant headaches right above my ear into my temple and forehead for over a year now after a tooth extraction. I some jaw pain but not a lot. The headaches are the worst sometimes debilitating. I know I grind and clench my teeth a lot but never had any pain till I had one of my molars pulled. I tried splint therapy and Ive been wearing one for about 6 months 24/7 with no improvement. I'm just completely frustrated and the headaches are daily which makes life so much harder. I'm always thinking about it being more serious and it not be TMJ after everything Ive tried. I could really use advice or someone that experience this as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2018, 08:01 PM   #2
    beth4409
    (female)

beth4409 HB User
    Re: Constant Daily Headaches

I'm dealing with the same thing. I had a tooth extracted after I formed an abscess on the back left side. It was from a root canal gone wrong. I get daily headaches, and now am dealing with constant neck and shoulder pain. My doctor prescribed cyclobenzaprine which is a muscle relaxer but I will need to reevaluate soon because it's not helping. I will post if I find anything that helps. This is a painful situation to be in. Did you get an implant after the extraction? I was told that an implant could have prevented the TMJ.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:49 AM   #3
    javasjavas
    (male)

javasjavas HB User

Hi! i have symptoms very similar to yours. It all began about 6 months ago, in a time of great stress. I suffer from nocturnal bruxism (sometimes of day too). My main symptoms are headaches on the right side, around the ear and covering the entire surface of the temporal muscle. Sometimes they are stitches, and other times it is like a feeling of contracture or tension in all that area. The exact place varies, sometimes it is above the head, sometimes almost immediately above or behind the ear. I also have a very tense jaw all the time. I feel that it is impossible for me to relax, and when I massage it I notice many trigger points along the masseter muscle. I am using a splint for about 1 month. Although I improve my symptoms a bit in the morning when I woke up, it did not eliminate the pain completely either. In addition to bruxism, I have bite problems, and my jaw is biased. When I open and close my mouth I see how it moves to one side. Like you, my concern that something is more serious is constant, which generates more stress, and worsens the symptoms. I am also prone to neck contractures, and tension in neck and back muscles.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:33 AM   #4
    SueinMargate
    (female)

SueinMargate HB User

Hi people.
    First of all, I am sorry to hear about your troubles.
    I can offer a bit of advice maybe.
    I have had TMJD for about 7 years. It took an age to get it diagnosed. I was put on Gabapentin which was great up until recently. It has some side effects but it was better than the pain!
    I think the muscle spasms and tension come from the nerve being agitated. gabapentin blocks the nerve. All my TMJ symptoms went.
    But. The effect of gabapentin stops as you get used to it so now I am back to square one. Taking pain killers which are also becoming less effctive. I have an appointment next week where I am going to get my GP to prescribe a different med. maybe Lyrica or another anti spasmodic. Gaba doesn't work for everyone but it worked for me. It might be worth exploring.
    All the shooting pains in back of head, pains across front of head, neck pain, shoulder pain back pain, even legs can all be related to TMJD.
    Hope this helps.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #5
    beth4409
    (female)

beth4409 HB User

Thanks! That does help! Mine has been doing much better until this week. What finally helped was using a bite guard to sleep with. However I have had a horrible flare up recently I believe it to be stress related. The back of my neck on the left side is excruciating all the way up to my forehead. I will need to visit my GP if it doesnt settle down.

Reply Reply