It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Where do I look to find the best Maxilofacial TMJ surgeons?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #1
    DM443
    (male)

DM443 HB User
    Question Where do I look to find the best Maxilofacial TMJ surgeons?

I've been dealing with TMJ for roughly 8 years now and after all of the treatments I tried (splints, chiro, acupuncture etc. all of which either made it worse or did nothing) pain wise I learned to manage it on my own to the point where most of the time I was generally pretty pain free as long as no one made me smile or laugh. My main issue for the past few years has been my severe lack of mobility and range of motion because I eventually developed chronic closed lock. I have a lot of trouble eating, I can barely fit the tooth brush in my mouth to brush my teeth, I haven't had a cleaning at the dentist in 8 years because they refuse, singing is extremely difficult, and at parties I'm the guy making an effort to not laugh or react to anyone's funny jokes in fear of triggering TMJ pain (sometimes I give in and pay the consequences for a few days).

From what I understand my TMJ has been in chronic closed lock (not lock jaw) for about 4-6 years while managing the pain pretty well but about a week ago a massage therapist made it way worse when they didn't hold both sides while massaging the muscles, essentially forcing my jaw to the side and seriously aggravating my jaw and discs. Because of this I am now in the worst closed lock I have ever experienced (I have to blend and drink all of my food now) and it forced me to seek help.

I went to a local surgeon who is really nice and intelligent, he prescribed me an anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxer and ordered an MRI and I will be getting that soon. The thing is, I'm convinced no matter how this ends I'm going to need surgery pretty soon and no matter how much I like this doctors bedside manners, I probably shouldn't trust the first person I see with my TMJ surgery. The reason I say this is because in my research I've learned that closed lock is an extremely misunderstood condition and most studies I've read regarding treatments for closed lock generally mention that based on their data, subjects who had previous procedures on their jaw have a much lower chance of having a successful surgery results wise, and that chance worsens the more procedures they had. Because of this, I want to make sure that if I do get surgery for my closed lock, that it's done right the first time by a world renowned surgeon who seriously knows their stuff so I can rest assured I didn't make a mistake going with someone local out of convenience who may or may not be experienced enough to really understand the issue and do what needs to be done the right way. The only issue is, I have literally no way of knowing who the best of the best is or even if the best of the best exists.

I considered checking out Mayo Clinic but I'm not sure if they even treat TMJ so I really just don't understand where to look.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Administrator; 04-23-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
    Ahmad56
    (male)

Ahmad56 HB User
    Re: Where do I look to find the best Maxilofacial TMJ surgeons?

DM443

hello there .. hope you're doing well

so from what i understand that you have done MRI so what is the report say?
    any disc dislocation? or any degeneration of the tissue? and i dopt this is your first MRI cause you've been suffering for 8 years..
    if pharmacological, physical, holistic management didn't do much regarding your pain you shoud do an invasive procedure to help you with the range of motion as well..
    for me i had TMJ Lavage and botox injections to the chewing muscles, the neck, and my temporalis. i would say my pain went from 9-10 to 3-4 it was worth it.. and the rang of motion increased significantly.
    i'm surprised that you went 8 years with this pain it was the worst thing ever, i was desperate to do anything to ease the pain just a little ..
    to sum it up.. do your research....find n excellent doctor.. and go for it...
    good luck ..

Last edited by Administrator; 04-23-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Where do I look to find the best Maxilofacial TMJ surgeons?

Contact some of the hospitals in your area... Oral and Maxilofacials surgeons have hospital privileges- that's where they operate.... ask who is on staff, and then look each one up and read about them. Look for board certifications- and ask around if anyone has had good or bad experiences- local groups can help you with that..

Reply Reply

Tags
    tmj arthroscopy, tmj disc, tmj surgery, tmjd