It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Some hopeful info to share

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-16-2019, 05:59 AM   #1
    SG24
    (female)

SG24 HB User
    Some hopeful info to share

I just wanted to post that in a few days I'll be getting an arthroscopic disc plication surgery for TMJ derangements.

About 5 months ago, I had an MRI which showed damage to both TMJ joints - around a Wilkes stage 2 or 3, but the damage was definitely present. I thought I had to live with permanently damaged joints and I was in constant excruciating pain and feeling pretty hopeless.

I got stem cell injections into the discs 4 months ago which are supposed to help. I don't have pain chewing anymore, or much pain in the joints anymore at all. I wasn't expecting any radiologic evidence, but yesterday my MRI showed there was no damage anymore in my joints - it was reversed! - which is miraculous to me.

My discs are still deranged which is causing muscle spasms, swelling and a lot of mechanical problems, so I still need the surgery. But I thought I'd post this here in case it's useful... I'm keeping fingers crossed for my upcoming surgery... TMJ can be so upsetting so i just wanted to share this in case it's encouraging to anyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
    bach543
    (female)

bach543 HB User
    Re: Some hopeful info to share

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SG24 View Post
    I just wanted to post that in a few days I'll be getting an arthroscopic disc plication surgery for TMJ derangements.

About 5 months ago, I had an MRI which showed damage to both TMJ joints - around a Wilkes stage 2 or 3, but the damage was definitely present. I thought I had to live with permanently damaged joints and I was in constant excruciating pain and feeling pretty hopeless.

I got stem cell injections into the discs 4 months ago which are supposed to help. I don't have pain chewing anymore, or much pain in the joints anymore at all. I wasn't expecting any radiologic evidence, but yesterday my MRI showed there was no damage anymore in my joints - it was reversed! - which is miraculous to me.

My discs are still deranged which is causing muscle spasms, swelling and a lot of mechanical problems, so I still need the surgery. But I thought I'd post this here in case it's useful... I'm keeping fingers crossed for my upcoming surgery... TMJ can be so upsetting so i just wanted to share this in case it's encouraging to anyone!

Before u do surgery, my advice to you is to consider repeating the stems. Tmj is what is called the Wild West. There is no consensus among experts nor good peer reviewed studies that can help us. Many horrifying stories. I also left the country and had stems with much relief. One researcher says the bone in the tmj responds better than other joints in regeneration. You can trust no one based on what I heard.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-17-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #3
    SG24
    (female)

SG24 HB User
    Re: Some hopeful info to share

Getting repeat injections will not help my case because there is literally no damage to my TMJs anymore (as evidenced by my MRI) - so the repeat stem injections will not help my issues. I may at some point repeat them "just because" - but at this point there doesn't seem to be any need.

I'm young so I might have responded fairly quickly to the injections 5 months back. The only thing causing my problems are disc derangements - all my mechanical problems are being caused by the actual discs being stuck, which are causing un-ignorable muscle spasms and persistent swelling on my neck and face - the swelling cannot be ignored. I know my own body pretty well and I have tried other options including different types of splints which just don't work and actually made me left disc get deranged as well. My discs are non-reducing - they don't seem likely to fall back into the correct position on their own.

I've had arthroscopic lavage before which didn't help because the discs just went back to being deranged. My surgery will be arthroscopic - not open joint - and will performed by two surgeons jointly who are very respected/ world renowned in the field.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-18-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Reply Reply