It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Pain in one cheek and bruxism?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
    stongestbunny
    (female)

stongestbunny HB User
    Pain in one cheek and bruxism?

Hi guys,
    I recently starting clenching/grinding my teeth, particularly at night. It was pretty bad for a couple of weeks and seems to have subsided in the past couple of days. I've been waking up with either no jaw pain or very mild discomfort, which is a HUGE improvement. However, my right cheek still aches. Do any of you get pain just below the cheekbone, kind of towards the ear? I am really hoping that this is just residual pain from the masseter muscle, as I had a radio frequency skin tightening treatment recently and am freaking out it's from that. I assume it would be from the clenching and masseter? Can that cause pain on just one cheek, though? Do any of you experience pain on just one side?
    Also, I started getting nerve-like pain/tinging where my lips go down to the chin, if that makes sense (Marrionette lines?)..although this starts only in the evenings and I think that's when I'm most stressed.

Thanks a lot, guys! It'd be great to know if this cheek symptom is likely from bruxism/clenching and whether the pain there can linger longer once it's gone elsewhere! Before that, it was my teeth, jaw, forehead, neck, ears, everything! Also, how long do you think it takes the body to fully relax and recover once the grinding or clenching has stopped?

Thanks so much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Pain in one cheek and bruxism?

Dear stongestbunny,

Do you think maybe you are trying too hard to to feel nothing? You had a skin tightening treatment. All that did was flex the face muscle. When we exercise unused muscle it takes time to recover from that. We cannot expect to feel nothing. Drugs only work short term because the body has nerves that are supposed to feel things. Our bodies are not made to feel nothing. It might help to gently massage your cheeks or apply a warm compress.

It is perfectly normal to feel things. Excitement about happy things is the same tension as fear, and it feels exactly the same. Tension is not all bad. Even fear is not all bad. Fear helps us stay out of unsafe situations. We need not fear or suppress emotion. We actually need to face emotion, relax, analyze it, and make healthy decisions.

There is a great deal of self-help info on how to help ourselves relax. An inexpensive but very effective and safe way to make the body relax is to take a bath in very warm water that has one or two cups of Epsom salt dissolved in it. It even can help stop muscle tension.

Talking with others or a trusted counselor can really relieve fear tension as we give ourselves permission to feel normal emotions. It is when we choose to dwell on a specific emotion that it can cause our thinking to get unbalanced...another name for that is obsession. The body is not separate from our mind.

We need to learn to turn off the negative or fear thinking and let the mind and body relax. Otherwise we keep on clenching our jaw or even cause ourselves headaches or other health problems. If we don't deal with how we think, it won't matter what we do to a body part, the tension will just move elsewhere in the body. We need to stop fretting and to daily practice relaxation. Sometimes I notice I am tense anywhere in my body when no one is looking I do a few stretches, shake my body and say to myself 'shake it off'.

Reply Reply