It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• ALF appliance? Mandibular advancement?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
    SG24
    (female)

SG24 HB User
    ALF appliance? Mandibular advancement?

Hi all,

I'm recovering from my arthroscopic disc re-suturing which was successful. I'm not in much pain and am trying to heal one day at a time.

The doctors said my discs were in good condition but were rotated, and splints would not have helped me and might have made things worse. The discs were sutured back into the correct position and I have to be on soft food for some weeks and not strain it too much or open too wide as of yet.

However, the disc-suturing will not correct my bite, which has changed due to the retrusion of my lower jaw in the past few months. My neck, jaw, shoulders and collarbones are sore and increasingly strained due to my misaligned bite, as is my posture.

Phase 2 is to correct my misaligned bite, but I've been advised that braces and splints will not help me and might be a risk at this stage when my discs are healing into their new position and have yet to stabilise.

I've been told my only option is an osteotomy to move my lower jaw forward (after 3 months of healing), unless things get okay on their own. Has anyone undergone jaw surgery/ an osteotomy to correct their jaw position? What was the experience and recovery like? Was it worth it?

I have also heard of an appliance called ALF (Advanced Lightware Functional) which is also supposed to move the lower jaw forward, improve forward head posture, airway space and breathing issues. Has anyone tried this appliance?

Any and all experiences you share would be greatly appreciated -- thank you so, so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply