It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• TMJ - help !

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
    TMJ - help !

I developed what my dentist is calling TMJ after opening my mouth "as wide as you can" per his instructions for an x-ray.
    I need to get my bite back to normal......who can fix this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
    rudiraven
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
    Re: TMJ - help !

I don't think it can be fixed. It may get better, but never fixed.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #3
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Oh no I hope thatís not so ! What makes you think that?

Old 09-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #4
    rudiraven
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Because I was diagnosed and the doctor said take motrin and eat soft foods. Sometimes your dentist/doctor can give you a splint to help. In severe cases surgery can be done.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:48 AM   #5
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

my dentist didn't offer a splint, but mentioned that sometimes that's what's done to fix it. Who would treat something like this?

Old 09-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #6
    rudiraven
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Perhaps an oral surgeon or maybe an ENT doctor.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:27 PM   #7
    Splinters
    (female)

Splinters HB User

My dentist told me there was nothing I could do and I believed him. After months of increasing pain and disfunction I lost my bite entirely. I did some research and found help from a doctor with extensive training in TMJ and Orofacial Pain. Try to find someone in your area who is board-certified by the American Board of Craniofacial Pain and with experience diagnosing and treating tmj. After almost a year I have improved but it took many months and insurance covered nothing.... some splints have caused people to lose their bite and I was so afraid of this possibility I did nothing and lost it anyway. Of course you might get better on your own but if you are getting worse welll.....

The Following User Says Thank You to Splinters For This Useful Post:
    rosequartz (09-19-2019)
    Old 09-19-2019, 08:00 AM   #8
    Splinters
    (female)

Splinters HB User

I found my doctor by calling a large dental practice and asking them who they referred their TMJ patients to. My city has a local magazine where doctors are asked to vote on who is the best in various fields. There was only one person listed although there are several other Tmj doctors in the area. I was so glad to get my splint which is only for my lower jaw and I wear it for 16 hours a day. After the first month the popping stopped. Was referred for physical therapy. It has taken better part of year and my bite is almost back to normal.

Reply Reply