It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Both Discs Destroyed! Disc Replacement?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
    SoSayWeAll
    (female)

SoSayWeAll HB User
    Both Discs Destroyed! Disc Replacement?

I don't even know where to begin! I have been on pureed diet for almost exactly a year, which is when I first had TMJ symptom ever (that I noticed). My in-network doctor was adamant that my pain was from tight jaw muscles and did not think an MRI was necessary, but requested it and it was denied. I did my 10 days of Advil and muscle relaxer to little relief. Tried two different night guards which made things worse.

After Botox in the jaw muscle did no good I ditched that doctor and went to one outside of my insurance a few months ago. He detected (via 3D CT scan) arthritis and was able to get an MRI approved my my insurance.

I was shocked to learn the right joint has severe arthritis and the articular disc is basically torn in half! And that's the side that doesn't really hurt as much! The left has moderate arthritis and a tear in the disc, as well as left mastoid air cell effusion. I'm going to the follow up consult with the new doctor on Monday.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has experience anything similar? I'm assuming the only remedy is disc replacement, but I'll find out.

Thank you in advance for any input or warnings.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2019, 05:24 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Both Discs Destroyed! Disc Replacement?

Oral surgeons have so many ways of fixing this...including disc replacement. Talk to an oral surgeon who specializes in TMJ...you might find another solution!

Old 11-08-2019, 05:40 AM   #3
    SoSayWeAll
    (female)

SoSayWeAll HB User
    Re: Both Discs Destroyed! Disc Replacement?

Thank you for your reply. I do have a TMJ surgeon I'm seeing, I'll see what his suggestions are next week. Disc replacement possibility was mentioned, we'll see.

I am just curious if anyone has had to go to the extreme, that everyone warns against, and what the outcomes were.

Reply Reply