It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Costs to fix dislocated jaw, and for splints?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2002, 01:41 PM   #1
    mbr22

mbr22 HB User
    Post Costs to fix dislocated jaw, and for splints?

Hi all - just curios what people have paid for there splints? Repositioning splints mainly, but also NTI's and any other types. My wife was just charged $750 for a repositioning splint that fits over her bottom teeth, and I think that seem high.

Also, my wife's jaw was dislocated, and her TMD dentist charged her $800 to slip the disc back into position. Apparently her left disc was dislocated, and he numbed her with novacaine, and then manipulated the disc back to the correct position - took all of about 5 minutes for the manipulation part. I've been told by some general physicians that costs to treat a dislocated jaw should be about half what we paid.

Any info would be appreciated.
    thanks,
    mbr

The Following User Says Thank You to mbr22 For This Useful Post:
    KeviE (03-02-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2002, 04:20 PM   #2
    crystalll
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crystalll HB User
    Hi Mbr,

So far, my splint therapy has cost me approximately $1,400 (Cdn). This includes the cost of the repositioning splint and monthly adjustments for four months. It also includes any x-rays etc. that need to be taken during the course of treatment. I also paid $650 for the initial diagnostic tests. My insurance covered a portion of the tests, but does not cover any of the splint therapy. Fortunately, my insurance covers most other "complementary" forms of therapy such as massage therapy, physio and chiropracter. Needless to say, I take FULL advantage of that.
    My nightguard cost $150 I believe.

There seems to be a wide range in the cost of TMJ treatments!

Crystal

Old 11-10-2002, 07:49 PM   #3
    Marlene
    Veteran

Marlene HB UserMarlene HB UserMarlene HB UserMarlene HB User
    Cool

Hi mbr,

I went to the same TMJ dentist that Crystal now goes to (I went 6yrs ago though, so costs may have increased since then). For me, from "start to finish" - splints then orthodontic case finishing - my total cost was approx. $5,500.00 (Can.) The most I ever paid for a splint was $246.00 (Can.) - which was a night guard. My repositioning splint cost about $150.00 (Can.)

Marlene
    (the "resident success story")

Closed Thread