It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Splints and insurance! This stinks!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2002, 12:30 PM   #1
    Kortney

Kortney HB User
    Angry Splints and insurance! This stinks!

I admit I need the million dollar mouth make over. I mean, literally.

Today after an intense prophy jet cleaning which hurt like heck afterwards they went ahead and took impressions for upper and lower hard splints. Soft splints never really worked for me.

My dental ins is MetLife. They will not cover splints at all. Neither will my medical ins. It's going to cost big bucks for these things that I need.

I mean, it's not fair ya know? It's just not right!

Due to multiple missing teeth on the upper right side, I no longer have a bite which only adds insult to injury. My dentist wants to find my centric bite, whatever that is, to take some pressure off the joints and try and get it stablizied for restorative cosmetic work. But ins won't pay for the splints.

Is it worth trying to write to them or something and basically plead my case or what? Jeez...how can they do this? It's just not right at all.

I know that insurance companies aren't obligated to pay for anything when it comes to TMJD but I was hoping to have atleast some coverage for it instead of none at all.

Any ideas on how to tackle this one?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2002, 10:39 PM   #2
    SueSt

SueSt HB User
    Kortney, check out a 11-25-02 posting from Lori3 called Dental insurance and TMJ. One of the senior members has information that might be helpful to you but you want to earmark your posting for her specifically. (She gave me some useful information!) It is pretty bad, what the insurers will pay. Mine treats it as dental only so they have a limit on xrays for diagnostic purposes and only 2 office visits per year - which doesn't cut it for TMJ treatment. Good luck. SueSt

Old 12-22-2002, 01:39 AM   #3
    MichaelV

MichaelV HB User
    Kortney

All this time you are having to spend in the dentists chair is going to be significantly contributing to a tmj problem. Not only with the pressure of your mouth being open for significant amounts of time but also the dynamics of the back of your head pressing against the chair itself. Not sure what you can do about it of course! But something to be aware of.

Closed Thread