It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Has TMJ caused you guys to stutter?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2003, 02:57 PM   #1
    TiffanyAnn
    Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
    Arrow Has TMJ caused you guys to stutter?

Hi Everyone:
    I was just wondering if any of you have noticed that over time you have begun to stutter alot? I am so embarrassed by how much I stutter. I never used to stutter this way and I am it makes me feel so stupid.
    Tiffany

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2003, 03:28 PM   #2
    DianeTMJ
    Senior Veteran

DianeTMJ HB User
    Hi Tiffany-
    Yep, speaking, which I use to be pretty darn good at doing, has become difficult. Sometimes not able to get the words out, I think it has to do with the spasming muscles???
    Diane

Old 06-04-2003, 03:55 PM   #3
    SueSt

SueSt HB User
    Hi TiffanyAnn hope you are feeling well today
    I have the same thing happen. Between pain and the muscle spasms I can't talk straight. I feel like it really puts a hole in my credibility when I am trying to talk with people!
    SueSt

Old 06-04-2003, 04:16 PM   #4
    Arleen
    Senior Veteran

Arleen HB User
    Hi Tiffany:

I don't have a stuttering problem, but find talking hurts my front teeth and gums, especially words that start with "f", where my tongue presses against the back of my front teeth. So, while I don't stutter, I slur sometimes.

I hope you're having a better week than last week.

Arleen

Old 06-04-2003, 04:51 PM   #5
    CherylL24
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CherylL24 HB UserCherylL24 HB UserCherylL24 HB User
    Hey Tiffany,

My son doesn't stutter, but since this has all come on, seems to be 'lispy' at times. This is when his splint isn't in. I assume it's due to muscles being 'out of whack'.
    Cheryl

[This message has been edited by CherylLynn24 (edited 10-31-2003).]

Old 06-04-2003, 04:52 PM   #6
    TiffanyAnn
    Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
    Diane, Sue, Arleen:
    Isn't it awful the things that are affected by TMJ? Someone who doesn't have this problem has no idea how much we suffer and it's so difficult to explain to them what is going on. I hope you guys are having a better day and not in so much pain.
    Tiffany

Old 06-04-2003, 04:55 PM   #7
    TiffanyAnn
    Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
    Hi Cheryl:
    How is Mike doing? Is he feeling any better? I have been wondering if he has felt any effects from his day on the roller coasters. I hope he is still feeling better.
    Tiffany

Old 06-04-2003, 08:02 PM   #8
    CherylL24
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CherylL24 HB UserCherylL24 HB UserCherylL24 HB User
    Wink

Tiffany,

Fortunately, no ill effects from rollercoaster-riding! (thank goodness) He's not any better, but hanging in there. You hanging in there, too?
    Take Care,
    Cheryl

Old 06-04-2003, 08:26 PM   #9
    TiffanyAnn
    Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
    Cheryl:
    I'm glad at least Mike isn't having any ill effects from his roller coaster riding. Maybe soon with the treatment you are getting for him he will begin feeling better and be back to his old self. I am hanging in there too.
    Tiffany

Old 06-04-2003, 08:40 PM   #10
    HRevero
    Veteran

HRevero HB User
    Yes I stutter all the time. I thought I was bad before but now my tongue is having problems moving which is making it worse. Sometimes I can't believe that I was teaching children how to speak and read, and now look at me I can't even make it through a sentence. It is kind of weird even though I have been getting treatment I feel as though my symptoms are worse. I have received new ones and lost one (almost). Why can't I they just stay the same so that I will know what I really have.
    Heather

Old 06-04-2003, 08:46 PM   #11
    TiffanyAnn
    Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
    Hi Heather:
    Yes, it's awful to stutter. I have always been a chatterbox http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/gabby.gif but this stuttering makes it so embarassing to talk.
    Tiffany

Old 06-04-2003, 10:47 PM   #12
    Stacie212

Stacie212 HB User
    Yeah, I stutter, mumble, and slur my words all the time now. I NEVER used to do that before. It is just hard to get the words out. my brain wants to say them but my mouth delays them from coming out. i can't talk loudly either. I even got fired from a job working in an office bec the office manager said i didn't speak clearly. i was so hurt bec i was good at the job and there wasn't even any talking involved really. just when i would talk to her, and she would scream at me : "Speak clearly! what the (world) is your problem?" and then she fired me. It makes me feel like an idiot sometimes because I don't come off as professional because of this.

[Edited to remove letter suggestive of profanity. We can't have even these. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

[This message has been edited by Well-come (edited 06-05-2003).]

Old 06-05-2003, 04:11 AM   #13
    katte 28

Thumbs down

Hey Guys ,
    Yeah , Tmj makes it so tough to talk. Just a few days ago , I had a lady ( from Social Services ) tell me that she would never hire me , ( if she were an employer) because she could not understand a word I was saying. Then , she said she wanted to help me find a job ! She was condescending and treated me as if I were mentally incompetant. I really wanted to tell her off but by the end of the meeting , I had such a headache ! I just wanted to go home ! I know the " old " me would have told her off..My verbal skills were above average but my mind is ahead of my mouth most of the time , now. I love that these boards are written , because I don't know if I would be understood well , if I had to speak. There's more and more awareness of TMJ but A LOT needs to be addressed. I feel like a Cancer victim , before anyone knew that it existed. No one believes you...If I could , I'd trade places with some of these insensitives , just to show them. Bet , they would be begging for their old lives back in just a few hours ! TMJ is so horribly painful. Okay , I'm done venting. Thanks for listening.
    katte 28

Old 06-05-2003, 06:40 AM   #14
    DianeTMJ
    Senior Veteran

DianeTMJ HB User
    Hey Stacie212 -
    Stacie, that is awful they fired you because you could not speak clearly. Stacie that is against the ADA.(The Americans with Disability Act) It was a Federal law enacted a few years ago. That is clearly against federal law to fire someone over their disability. Did you know at that point you had TMJ? Not okay what they did. Go check it out on the internet. There are mediation programs to help those that lost their jobs due to a disability. Grrrrrrrr that makes me mad they fired you!

I am hoping with my splint that I will hopefully some day be able to speak clearly again and not have this hesitation between my brain and my mouth. It drives me nuts.
    Diane

[This message has been edited by DianeTMJ (edited 06-05-2003).]

Old 06-05-2003, 07:43 AM   #15
    TiffanyAnn
    Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
    I didn't realize that there were so many of us who have such a problem speaking. What you guys said about the hesitation between you brain and speaking, that is what happens to me. I know what I want to say and I am ready to say it but my mouth just won't work. And sometimes when I need to say something fast it seems like my tongue goes into some sort of freaky spasms. I have never been so embarassed in all my life. Stacie..I agree that it's against to law to fire you because of your speech especially since you didn't have to speak for your job. I would definately check into this. Of course that would take energy and if you are anything like me your energy is limited. I would have never thought a problem with the jaw would have lead to such awful pain and problems.

Katte:
    Regarding the woman who was so rude to you, you might consider writing a letter to her superior telling them how she treated you. There is no excuse to be unkind to another EVER and I for one am getting sick of rude, insensitive people.
    Tiffany

[This message has been edited by TiffanyAnn (edited 06-05-2003).]

Closed Thread