It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Splint Dos and Don'ts - Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2003, 06:11 PM   #1
    looney

looney HB User
    Question Splint Dos and Don'ts - Help!

Dear all,

I saw an orthodontist today. I am getting an orthotic splint made, as I am a clencher/grinder. It is one that is worn all the time except for eating. It goes over the top teeth I guess. It is flat under the teeth, I guess.

I just want to find out from you all if there are certain types of splints that are very bad and to avoid. I don't know if this covers all of the top teeth or not.

I also have an overbite, which makes me wonder if I should go to a neuromuscular dentist, etc. I just don't know what to do.

Please help me out as to at least what I should find out about the splint. I don't want to go through all of this stuff and then hit a dead end. I want to do it right from the start. I've been trying to get this taken care of for 6 months now, and between the insurance companies and the differing opinions out there . . . ughhhhh!

Thanks,

Looney

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2003, 07:09 PM   #2
    saaraah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

saaraah HB User
    becuase you said that you have an overbite, it makes me wonder if you have an underdeveloped mandible.

if that's the case, ive been told that an anterior repositioning splint is perfect. maybe you could get a second opinion from another dentist before getting your splint.

take care

- saaraah.

Old 10-03-2003, 08:10 PM   #3
    TiffanyAnn
    Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
    Hi Looney:
    The thing about TMJ treatment is that you can never know for sure that the treatment you are getting is the right of perfect treatment. That's because there are really no guidelines for the treatment of TMJ and so each "professional" does what they think is best. So, you really have to go with your gut reaction regarding what you are being told in regards to treatment for your problem. If what you are being told sounds like bs to you then it probably is. I have a question because you said the splint you are getting is flat you guess. If you are getting a splint you should know the facts about they splint, what type, what teeth are supposed to hit on the splint and what the orthodontist expects from the treatment. It's always wise to be an informed patient.
    Tiffany

Old 10-04-2003, 08:17 AM   #4
    velvetgrl
    Inactive

velvetgrl HB User
    Saaraah,

How are you doing with your new splint? Are you experiencing any relief or are you noticing any changes in your jaw? I'm popping on the right side (new symptom), but, the tomograms show an increased space for the discs on both sides.

velvetgrl

Old 10-04-2003, 01:11 PM   #5
    saaraah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

saaraah HB User
    velvetgirl - thanks for your concern. i wrote a reply to you in another thread entitled "new repositioning splint".

i hope that your treatment continues to go well, too.

take care,

- saaraah.

Closed Thread