It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Extreme sensitivity to vibration

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2003, 12:15 AM   #1
    Isobelj

Isobelj HB User
    Post Extreme sensitivity to vibration

I am just noting this recently as something definite, and it is so odd. I know I am sensitive to vibration (more than was ever normal for me) with tmj, for example being in a car is something of an ordeal now, my ears vibrate and just a rocking feeling when for example others may move in the same car as me makes me feel a bit horrible.

But also at home when in bed I'm noticing I feel (especially when falling asleep or just waking) as if the bed where I am touching it is vibrating, for example if I'm lying down it seems to vibrate along my whole body, if I sit then along my legs etc. Really it feels indistinguishable from the way you do if you are standing in heavy traffic and you feel the ground vibrate under it, and you. I mean the vibration seems not in my body but under it. I live in Mexico City, which is build on a lake, there is a great deal of vibration anyway, and although my road is not too busy there is a pretty busy main road off it very close by. Could it be that I am just much more senstive to vibration now so I feel what I didn't note before the tmj? Does anyone else experience this sensation?

It's disturbing, it makes me sleep less well and scares me a little, I'm disconcerted and alarmed waking up to this. I was reflecting today (for anyone who reads Harry Potter) that tmj was probably invented by dementors to drive us mad and suck the optimism out of us, but also, at least thinking of this 'disorder' in connection with the world of H.P. makes me feel better, and that I WILL defeat this evil thing, even if I don't have a wand (I have a black fluffball cat though )!!

Isobel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2003, 03:06 PM   #2
    Marlene
    Veteran

Marlene HB UserMarlene HB UserMarlene HB UserMarlene HB User
    Cool

Isobel,

I was sensitive to vibration, to the point that, when I would be sitting in my chair in my own living room and my husband would walk past me, it would shake my chair ever so slightly. I would constantly tell him not to "walk so hard" because the vibration would send my head spinning and make me feel nauseated! Poor guy - I'm sure he felt like if he even breathed I'd get dizzy and nauseated!!

Marlene

Old 10-17-2003, 07:57 PM   #3
    Isobelj

Isobelj HB User
    Yes, I have to tell friends not to lean on my chair or 'invade my space', it feels so horrible to be even slightly rocked.

The vibration thing is so strange though, again I experienced it when lying down for half an hour this evening, I drowsed a little and when I woke up could feel what is surely traffic vibration, yet normally I don't feel it. It isn't that I'm so oblivious to these things when tmj free either, I do note movement more than other people, so now I just must by hyper senstive. I'm also noticing something so elusive I can hardly put it into words, but it seems to me that when I wake up my heart is beating faster, is this a tmj symptom? I can't help but be worried by any feeling which is out of the ordinary now.

Isobel

Old 10-17-2003, 08:46 PM   #4
    Marlene
    Veteran

Marlene HB UserMarlene HB UserMarlene HB UserMarlene HB User
    Question

Isobel,

Do you notice your heart beating faster every time you wake up or just sometimes? Does there seem to be a pattern of occurrence? Could be almost like a bit of a "panic attack" - when you awaken, your mind "subconsciously" starts thinking about what the day will bring, and how you will cope with your TMJ symptoms, and the fact that you have to face another day with TMJ symptoms, etc. You know what I mean?

Marlene

Old 10-21-2003, 03:55 PM   #5
    Isobelj

Isobelj HB User
    Marlene, thanks, yes I do know. I wondered this myself, it isn't every time I wake, I'm wondering too if it is to do with my ears, maybe they are picking up the heartbeat or vibrating more sometimes (I mostly sleep with earplugs and then you hear more 'internal' sound) but also I notice I get the funny feeling of sensingmy heartbeat more - and maybe it isn't even faster just more noticible somehow as if felt through my whole body more - even without having worn earplugs. Maybe it's just something like the 'princess and the pea' syndrome (!), with a joint in 'disorder' one feels everything much much more?

I know there was another member here who was suffering from vibration when she slept which she put down to the neighbour's music vibration even if the music was being listened to via headphones, that's very plausible, poss what I feel is some similar reaction to slightly different stimuli of some kind.

I also wonder if it's connected to grinding my teeth, I hadn't been using my nightguard as I'm not convinced it is the right shape, well I took matters a little bit into my own hands and filed down one side with a metal file, rinsed it well and then tried it again a couple of nights ago and it felt much better. (I wouldn't advise people to do this but I don't know what dentist to see now and was a bit desperate.) Since I have worn it again at night and it seems to help with the vibrating sensation also.

Isobel

Isobel

Old 10-21-2003, 06:13 PM   #6
    Ouch-ear-pain
    Senior Veteran

Ouch-ear-pain HB User
    Hi,
    I never really thought of this because I never knew it occured. I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted on how you are feeling please! I hope you get better! Best of luck!

Ear

Closed Thread