It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Hi, I'm new here...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2003, 12:33 PM   #1
    A. Polly

A. Polly HB User
    Hi, I'm new here...

and have been struggling w/TMJ/muscle-related pain for almost 2 years.

It began w/overuse of Nicorette gum. The good news in all this is that I did manage to quit smoking. The bad news is my jaw and neck and shoulders have never been the same.

Treatments so far are drugs (so many to list, it's embarrasing), physical therapy, massage therapy, splint therapy, accupuncture...now getting ready to ramp up for an epidural in my neck as part of the diagnostics revealed arthritis in my neck. My instincts are that muscular-related TMJ problems are more responsible for my pain, but some level of relief would be welcome.

I am astounded by the lack of clear understanding for this disorder. It would seem as though a good engineer could work this all out for us! LOL...sort of. My experience with doctors for this has been disappointing; I keep having to remind myself (and them) that I'm the one in my skin here, and that I'm not crazy...I am feeling this.

This board is a comfort and I really needed to find it.

I just wanted to say hello...I only know a fraction of what many of you have endured...my heart goes out to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2003, 03:03 PM   #2
    SarahSue

SarahSue HB User
    Hi Polly

I just wanted to say welcome and I hope things start looking up for you soon! We are all here for you to answer any questions or share your pain.

Sarah

Old 11-17-2003, 06:31 PM   #3
    Michelle W
    Veteran
    (female)

Michelle W HB User
    welcome to the board

Old 11-18-2003, 04:14 AM   #4
    goodwillstacy
    (female)

goodwillstacy HB User
    Hi A. Polly,
    First of all, welcome to the board! I'm glad you found it.
    Don't be embarrased about the drugs you've taken...I think we've all been there! I know that if I listed the drugs I've taken over the past 8-9 years, we'd be here forever, and the site would be so slow due to my post.

In any case, it sounds like you've tried a lot.. has any of it helped?
    Who is doing this epidural in your neck? I have had many kinds of injections, right now I have been going through cervical facet joint injections, trigger point injections in my neck and shoulders (have had them in my jaw also and I do not recommend that!), Occipital Nerve Blocks, etc. So I am familiar with what you will be going through. Will you be sedated? Is the injection done in the office or in the hospital?
    I understand exactly what you mean when you say you have to keep reminding your docs that you are the one in pain. Sometimes you'll get docs that are sympathetic to that, and sometimes you won't. I've always found that my treatment goes MUCH better if I find a doctor I like (and trust), because then I'll be more willing to follow through with the treatment plan.
    Anyway, I've kind of rambled here, but I hope you are feeling ok and please check in whenever you get a chance!
    Welcome, again-
    .stacy.

Old 11-18-2003, 05:36 AM   #5
    A. Polly

A. Polly HB User
    Facet Injections and Cervical Epidural

Quote:
    Originally Posted by goodwillstacy
    Hi A. Polly,
    First of all, welcome to the board! I'm glad you found it.
    Don't be embarrased about the drugs you've taken...I think we've all been there! I know that if I listed the drugs I've taken over the past 8-9 years, we'd be here forever, and the site would be so slow due to my post.

In any case, it sounds like you've tried a lot.. has any of it helped?
    Who is doing this epidural in your neck? I have had many kinds of injections, right now I have been going through cervical facet joint injections, trigger point injections in my neck and shoulders (have had them in my jaw also and I do not recommend that!), Occipital Nerve Blocks, etc. So I am familiar with what you will be going through. Will you be sedated? Is the injection done in the office or in the hospital?
    I understand exactly what you mean when you say you have to keep reminding your docs that you are the one in pain. Sometimes you'll get docs that are sympathetic to that, and sometimes you won't. I've always found that my treatment goes MUCH better if I find a doctor I like (and trust), because then I'll be more willing to follow through with the treatment plan.
    Anyway, I've kind of rambled here, but I hope you are feeling ok and please check in whenever you get a chance!
    Welcome, again-
    .stacy.
    Stacy,

Thanks for the response. So far, Soma at night works best to get a decent start to the day, but throughout the day, working at a PC takes its toll. By the time I get home I'm not good for much. :-( We all the know the effect it has on families too. Moist heat and massage work too, but it is all temporary!!

An anesthiosiologist would be doing to the cervical epidural and facet injections. I met with him last week and I felt very comfortable with him. I felt as though he really listened and did not discount me when I said I felt most of this was coming from my jaw. However, jaw work is not his specialty and he's not going near my TMJ joint. But he does feel the cervical epidural and facet injections will help to some degree as the MRI showed some arthritis in my neck. What he doesn't know, and at least he was honest, was whether it would help me 10% or 90%. It would take place in a hospital on an outpatient basis. I am nervous about it. Yes, they said I would be sedated. Were you? If so, were you sedated enough that you didn't feel anything? Sorry to sound wimpy, I know it pales in comparison to what many have been through. It's heartwrenching, it really is.

Any feedback you have on the cervical epidural and/or facet injections would be very much appreciated.

I can't believe my fortune in finding people who have gone through this...I feel less alone with it.

Old 11-18-2003, 09:14 AM   #6
    goodwillstacy
    (female)

goodwillstacy HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A. Polly
    Stacy,

Thanks for the response. So far, Soma at night works best to get a decent start to the day, but throughout the day, working at a PC takes its toll. By the time I get home I'm not good for much. :-( We all the know the effect it has on families too. Moist heat and massage work too, but it is all temporary!!

An anesthiosiologist would be doing to the cervical epidural and facet injections. I met with him last week and I felt very comfortable with him. I felt as though he really listened and did not discount me when I said I felt most of this was coming from my jaw. However, jaw work is not his specialty and he's not going near my TMJ joint. But he does feel the cervical epidural and facet injections will help to some degree as the MRI showed some arthritis in my neck. What he doesn't know, and at least he was honest, was whether it would help me 10% or 90%. It would take place in a hospital on an outpatient basis. I am nervous about it. Yes, they said I would be sedated. Were you? If so, were you sedated enough that you didn't feel anything? Sorry to sound wimpy, I know it pales in comparison to what many have been through. It's heartwrenching, it really is.

Any feedback you have on the cervical epidural and/or facet injections would be very much appreciated.

I can't believe my fortune in finding people who have gone through this...I feel less alone with it.
    Hi!
    I also see an anesthesiologist. He believes that some of my headaches are due to swelling and abnormality in my cervical spine, so I have been on a cycle of these injections for a while now. He is also not treating me directly through my jaw and will not inject or touch that area. I see the surgeon that did my arthroplasty for jaw related stuff.
    I have NOT been sedated. I have been awake for every one of them. I haven't even been given the option of being sedated.. it kind of makes me mad, because now that I've gone through all of them without sedation, if I asked for it, he'd be wondering why.
    But in any case I do know the sedation that you will be given. I had it for my arthrocentesis and I do not remember one thing! I woke up & felt pretty groggy, then about half an hour later I felt normal!! (well, except for the area that was injected- it will be numb for a little while and then a little sore.. not really that noticeable. I put heat on my injection site- ask your doc about that before doing it though)
    I'm pretty sure this is the type you will be given. Or if you do remember anything, you will not care & it will not hurt. So you can relax about that.
    Will you be given a cycle of 3? That's how they usually go in my experience, and then if they do not help, they are not done again.
    Glad you're here & don't hesitate to ask any other questions!
    .stacy.

Old 11-28-2003, 11:33 AM   #7
    Navy1990
    Inactive

Navy1990 HB User
    Re: Facet Injections and Cervical Epidural

Quote:
    Originally Posted by A. Polly
    Stacy,

I had the cervical epidurals 8 years ago. I went in once a week for 3 consecutive weeks in an outpatient facility. I was told I got the maximum allowed for a few years. I never did need the neck surgery, so, between the countless hours of PT, meds, and the epidurals, I have been pretty much painfree in the neck for the past 8 years....knock on wood. Oh, and I do visit the chiropractor several times a week. Good luck!

Navy1990

Closed Thread