It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Killer Tension Headaches - Nonstop - Please Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2003, 05:28 PM   #1
    looney

looney HB User
    Killer Tension Headaches - Nonstop - Please Help

Hi,

Does anybody else out there with TMJ have super bad tension headaches nonstop? I have horrid tension all over my head, neck and shoulders. I can't seem to dig my way out of this mess. I've been in a splint 2 months now with zero relief. I need help. I don't think I can live with this pain. The muscles are so tight all over, I just can't believe it. My dentist doesn't think this is all TMJ, but I'm wondering if any of you have this. It's like a tight band all around my head, and my neck mobility is so limited.

I'm scared. I've been in physical therapy for several months and I'm getting nowhere. I can't take medications, but the pain is SO bad. I'm in fear waking up to this in the morning every day.

What can I do? Do any of you out there have severe chronic daily tension headache/neck pain with this?

Please help,

Looney

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2003, 05:36 PM   #2
    tina1966
    Inactive

tina1966 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Killer Tension Headaches - Nonstop - Please Help

Hi,
    My name is Tina, and am 37 with 2 kids. I had migraines everday for 6 weeks before gettingmy splint. You need to get the book "Taking Control of TMJ" by
    Robert O. Uppgaard, DDS. It is jammed packed with info all about TMJ and
    how it affects the entire body. Are you getting Myofascial Release therapy?
    if not, that is what you need for your back and neck, it helped me
    tremendously, I could hardlyl walk before theapy..also, they did the ultrasound
    therapy on my back and neck and it was great! i still see a therapist about
    once a week now. AND wear a TENS UNIT all day! I bet that would help you
    out alot too! IT helps me greatly!!! Please email me if you need to. I am here
    to help. I know about the agonizing pain. Everyone thought I was crazy
    until i got diagnosed. YOu will be fine..its just geting the right help. PRAY TO
    GOD to lead you in the right direction and He will! God Bless you and take care!
    Tina

Last edited by moderator2; 12-17-2003 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Do not post contact information. These boards are for anonymous use only. Please carefully read and follow the board posting guidelines. Thank you.

Old 12-16-2003, 05:36 PM   #3
    Michelle W
    Veteran
    (female)

Michelle W HB User
    Re: Killer Tension Headaches - Nonstop - Please Help

Wow, I don't know what to tell you if you can't take medication. Have you seen a neurologist? I have found them helpful in the past regarding treatment of headaches. What about chiropractic treatment or massage? You may have tried all of these things, but since I am unfamliar with your particular case I am just throwing out ideas. When did your headaches start? Do you think they are a result of your splint? Again I am just throwing ideas out to you.

Old 12-17-2003, 05:23 AM   #4
    looney

looney HB User

Michelle and Tina,

I have been getting myofascial release for three months with no relief. I'm doing more conventional physical therapy right now with some massage and trigger point work. I pray that helps. I tried TENS, but it seemed to just end up aggravating the condition. I put it on my jaw and also on my trapezius muscles in the shoulders, and it just felt stimulating and eventually, the muscles actually tightened in response to it.

I have had the headache for over a year now, nonstop, although the neck and shoulder pain were better over the summer, but now they're back with a vengeance, and I don't know why.

I've been in my NM splint for two months now, and although I can chew my food better, it seems to have made the pain and tightness in my temples much worse. I don't want to give up on it, but I'm in SO much pain.

I am in desperation because the tightness all over my head, face, shoulders, and neck is so bad. I don't know if this is all TMJ or if it could still be the effects of a severe withdrawal from Klonopin I've been going through for the past 15 months now. I don't know. That's why I'm asking this question - to see if others out there have sevre tension headache with the TMJ or not or whether it's likely this is some other problem.

I appreciate all your responses.

Looney

Old 12-17-2003, 05:29 AM   #5
    saaraah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

saaraah HB User

looney - have you considered botox? i had varying success with it [once it worked and the other time it didnt]..

- saaraah.

Old 12-17-2003, 06:37 AM   #6
    DianeTMJ
    Senior Veteran

DianeTMJ HB User

Good morning Looney-
    First all, hang in there, hang in there.

Looney, have you let your dentist know that you are not having any relief? It sure sounds like to me that your splint needs adjustments. If I might suggest calling your dentist, be assertive, not agressive, but say you are having problems with the splint and it is needing an adjustment, quickly.

Looney, it is not doing what it is suppose to do, repair your tmj's and correct your bite. I know that it is not a pleasant thing to call the dentist, but you really need to.

So, give them a call today, it doesn't matter if they have you scehduled a month down the road, you let them know you need to get in now, not a month.

Diane

Closed Thread