It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• pain in cheek?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2004, 04:53 AM   #1
    akahoneypotqt

akahoneypotqt HB User
    Exclamation pain in cheek?

I have been diagnosed w/TMJ for quite some time now. My question, however, is unanswerable by the dentist. I have had a pain. Quite sore and tender in my cheek. this is not in the bone, but in the actual tissue istelf. On my R side of my face. It doesn't really hurt to touch it from the outside. It is a very sharp tender pain at times. If I pinch (lightly) between my outer cheek and inside my mouth on the cheek it's very tender. As if I bit it really hard. But I haven't. This is strange, and unusual. It does feel at times that the pain is coming from my upper cheekbone into my cheek. I don't know. It's hard to describe. It's on the part of your cheek that you'd pinch if you grabbed someone cheek. Only on the inside mostly. I hope this makes sense..lol.. Any ideas? thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2004, 08:05 AM   #2
    PINKYPRISCILLA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
    Re: pain in cheek?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by akahoneypotqt
    I have been diagnosed w/TMJ for quite some time now. My question, however, is unanswerable by the dentist. I have had a pain. Quite sore and tender in my cheek. this is not in the bone, but in the actual tissue istelf. On my R side of my face. It doesn't really hurt to touch it from the outside. It is a very sharp tender pain at times. If I pinch (lightly) between my outer cheek and inside my mouth on the cheek it's very tender. As if I bit it really hard. But I haven't. This is strange, and unusual. It does feel at times that the pain is coming from my upper cheekbone into my cheek. I don't know. It's hard to describe. It's on the part of your cheek that you'd pinch if you grabbed someone cheek. Only on the inside mostly. I hope this makes sense..lol.. Any ideas? thanks!

Hi there,

When the muscles are tight/spasming, this can cause pain /referred pain in other areas
    of the face, head, sinus area, ears, etc., Is your dentist trained in tmj disorders?
    He should be able to answer your questions.

Good Luck
    Pinky

Old 01-14-2004, 01:11 PM   #3
    delilah1963
    (female)

delilah1963 HB User
    Re: pain in cheek?

Only guessing but I would suggest it's a trigger point in your masseter (cheek) muscle.

I have a book on trigger points and it suggests that trigger points can be found at any place in the masseter, from the cheekbone to the bottom edge of the jaw. It's necessary to put your thumb inside your mouth and knead the muscle you're working b/t your thumb and fingers to dissolve the trigger point.

The information instructs you to seek out the knot and massage it as strongly as you can bear for about a minute (it's gonna hurt!!)...and to expect it to be sore afterwards for a day or two...and to work on the muscle every day until it no longer hurts.

Good luck,
    D.

Last edited by delilah1963; 01-14-2004 at 01:16 PM.

Closed Thread